Endometriosis

Please ask our experts your general gynaecology questions here or post specific questions in one of the sub-forums below.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
melanie84

by melanie84 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:10 pm

Endometriosis

Hi,
I had endometriosis which i had removed last May. I was told that they could not remove all of it as to where it is they called it the pouch of douglas? I was then put on zoladex injections and also a hormone replacement for 6 months but as soon as they stopped the agony returned with every period and a week before i started bleeding. They have very recently (4weeks ago) fitted me with the mirena coil which was very uncomfortable but settled down in a day. A week later i had a UTI which is not uncommon for me as i do get a lot of these as my bladder does not work as it should and am on retraining my bladder which also involves self catherterisation. Then 2 weeks ago it was my first period i got severe pains which i put up with for 3 days before calling 111 and got told to go to A&E where i was admitted for 2 days and put on morphine.When i had the coil fitted I was told that the pain could be worse for 3-6 months which i took on board but i did not expect it to be that bad. I also suffer with chronic back pain and the period pains effected my back in a big way it was agony to even move. When i saw the gynae team in A&E i was told there was no reason why all of it could not be removed so why would they not have removed it? I want to persevere with the coil because if it settles down and helps in the long run i thought it would be worth it. I am petrified that in a week i am going to be in the same position as last time i had my period which scares me because i don't know how to control the pain i cant take anymore painkillers as i am on max for my back problem. They dont want me taking anti inflammatoys as i only have one working kidney. I dont want to waste A&E time for period pains i feel stupid for going to A&E for period pains. I tried hot water bottle and baths which dont help. I just dont know what to do or try.

Please Help!

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:20 pm

Re: Endometriosis

Perhaps they plan to perform a 'second-look' laparoscopy after the course of injections? An MRI scan may also help assess the level of disease.
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

melanie84

by melanie84 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:03 am

Re: Endometriosis

I have had the 6 months of injections which did help a bit while i was on them but was only allowed to be on them for 6 months. They seem to think the coil is the way to go but am having doubts the pain i experience at the time of the month is unbearable but if i have it removed i am still in the same position i cant seem to win which ever way i go. I have had enough of spending everyday in pain and then the added pain of period pains it would be fine if i could control the pain but what ever i try seems to have no effect.

Thanks for your advice

3 posts