Just severe pain or something else?

Please ask our experts your general gynaecology questions here or post specific questions in one of the sub-forums below.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
awigmore

by awigmore on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:39 pm

Hi there.
I would like to understand whether my pain symptoms are normal or whether I should be referred.

My background: very painful periods started from day 1 at age 14, they continued to be very severe (painkillers, constant bowel movements, nausea, on floor sweating, and on occasions nearly passing out). At around age 20 I was put on mefenamic acid to deal with inflammation. This did help for a year or so but pains were back again to the extent of missing two days of work each month because of pain. I then went on the combined contraceptive pill at age 24, this helped and I stayed on this for around 6 years. I came off and didn't have a period for 9 months and then after that they came back sporadically, 3-4 periods a year for 2 years. I came off gluten (for other reasons) and find that periods have been absolutely clockwork since then 10 months now of regular timely menses.

Current problem: very sever pain again as before. Hesitant to go back on pill for long term health risks, and also I now have gall stones, and the increased levels of cholesterol with the pill won't help with the gall bladder attacks.

What I'm doing about it: eating very healthily, staying active, taking Vit E, Omega 3 and Vit D which have some evidence to suggest they help with inflammation and pain, preventing in some cases the production of prostaglandins.

I would be fortunate to get this out to my GP without dismissal, should I ask to be referred? The pain is beyond my management, is debilitating and preventing me from normal activities. Does it sound to you like there is the possibility of an underlying cause for this level of pain?

Thank you for any advice or direction.
Kind Regards

Jenny Greenfield

by Jenny Greenfield on Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:23 pm

Re: Just severe pain or something else?

Thank you for your query, Please can suggest that you go back to your GP for further investigations. There are other forms of contraception which may help with your painful periods i.e. Progesterone only methods, but maybe you need more investigations as to why your periods are so painful. It is worthwhile asking to see another GP if there is one available in your practice or even attending a family planning or sexual health clinic nearby to help to discuss your issues.
Jenny Greenfield
Practice nurse manager

awigmore

by awigmore on Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:24 pm

Re: Just severe pain or something else?

Hi, thank you for that.
I will visit my GP and see if we can re-visit the situation.
Thanks again.
Anna

3 posts