Bleeding after Menopause

If you have questions about any aspects of menopause, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Literal Hereford

by Literal Hereford on Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:49 pm

Bleeding after Menopause

I am 55 and havne't a period since I was 53. Early this morning when I went to the toilet I saw a few drops (maybe 5) of bright red blood. I checked about 15 minutes later and there was a few more. I've worn a sanitary towel all day, its unmarked and I seen nothing either.

I did have a fall last Friday morning when I slipped on some wet leaves. I grazed my left knee and bruised my left leg just below my knee but no aches/pains/ bruises anywhere else.

Jenny Greenfield

by Jenny Greenfield on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:37 pm

Re: Bleeding after Menopause

Hi
It may bea good idea for you to go to your GP or Practice nurse and just get yourself checked out. They may wish to do an internal examination and take some swabs to see if you may have any infection, which may be causing the bleeding
Jenny Greenfield
Practice nurse manager

Dr Helen Fawcett

by Dr Helen Fawcett on Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:04 pm

Re: Bleeding after Menopause

Hi,
The menopause is defined as 1 year from your last period, so you are now post menopausal. Any post menopausal bleeding is usually investigated and so you may need a referral to your local consultant Gynaecologist. It is possible that the blood could have been in the urine , especialy as the sanitary towel was unmarked, however, it is unclear so I still think a Gynaecological referral would be appropriate, but you need to see your GP to discuss this further.
Dr Helen Fawcett
GP with special interest in women's health

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/helen_fawcett.php

3 posts