Labial cyst

Ask our experts all your questions about vaginal issues here.

Moderator: talkhealth

6 posts
Mika Henry

by Mika Henry on Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:33 pm

Labial cyst

I've had a slow growing cyst on my right labia minora for about two years. At first, it was smaller than a pea and caused no symptoms or discomfort. I went to my GP as soon as I found it (June 2012) and she reassured me that it could go away on it's own or potentially get bigger- but as it was not at all bothersome I left it alone. I the last few weeks the cyst had grown to the size of a plum and was extremely painful and tender. I went back to the same GP (Feb 19th) who put me on a referral list to see a gynecologist about having it removed. Fine. But, a few days later (Feb 26th) the pain increased to the point where I couldn't sit, stand or sleep comfortably so I rang my GP who told me to go to the hospital where she had arranged an emergency on call gynae doctor to see me. After an examination and lots of painful prodding and poking, they sent me home with the intention of coming back in to have it drained in 48 hours. I went home with codeine, paracetamol and ibruforen. After a night of searing pain, the following morning (Feb 27th) I woke up and went to the bathroom to discover blood and white bits in my underwear. I rang the hospital ward and told them. They said to come in and be checked. The cyst had burst which meant I no longer needed to op to have it drained. The Dr had a look 'down there' and told me there is a hole where the fluid will slowly escape from over the next week. He said nature often runs it's course with labial cysts.
I'm having daily salt baths to prevent infection, wearing tena pads, and am taking painkillers because the area is still incredibly sore. I'm still very sore where the cyst is, and have to 'dab' the area instead of wiping after going to the toilet. 2 days after the cyst burst, my questions are:
What can I do to speed up the drainage and healing process?
Is it normal to still be sore and painful even though the cyst has recently burst? Particularly dragging contact with tissue paper.
I can still feel the 'bulbous' mass, though perhaps not as big as it was. will the skin go back to normal?
I wish I just had the anesthetic op for surgical drainage so it was over and done with. Would this have meant I would be back to normal sooner?
Thankyou in advance. I cannot tell you how much pain and stress this cyst has/is causing me!
Mika x

RosyHannah

by RosyHannah on Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:44 pm

Re: Labial cyst

Hey,

Thank you for posting your question to our on line clinic - sorry to hear that you are having a stressful time at the moment. I really do hope that one of our experts will be able to answer your question when our clinic opens on 5th March.

Do remember that if you are concerned at all to revisit your doctor.

Keep in touch,

Rosy - talkhealth

Mika Henry

by Mika Henry on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:51 am

Yes, hopefully Rosy.

Just thought I'd add that it is now Tuesday 4th (5 days after cyst burst) and I do feel more 'comfortable'- I can sit, stand, walk and sleep fine. But the cyst is still draining ever so slowly. When I 'dab' the area dry with toilet paper, there is a spot of red (or sometimes yellowy), and the same on my Tena pad. It's naturally sore to touch at the this part. So, I'm just seeking reassurance that sometimes cysts can take a while to drain/heal naturally???
I'm pretty sure there is no infection as I don't feel pain, only a sore sensational at times, and the hospital Dr did a swab test to check last week.
Also, I'm due to start my period in a few days and worry that this will cause further irritation to the site.

lisalouise999

by lisalouise999 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:50 pm

Hi there I also suffer with a labial cyst, next to my clitoral hood. It gets to a little bigger than pea sized, and can be very painful, so I really feel for you during this horrible time. Sounds like you are doing everything right, warm salt baths are great for drawing out cyst goo. I have a sitz bath which looks like a training toilet seat, with a bowl underneath, which is great for bathing sore bits and pieces. My only thought for you is that maybe wearing tampons for this period might be an idea. Depending on if you can insert one without hurting your draining cyst of course. My thought was just thought it might keep you dryer and less irritated?

Mika Henry

by Mika Henry on Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:48 am

UPDATE

So for the last two days I haven't felt hardly any pain/soreness 'down there'. I think the cyst might have finished draining too, as I was only getting one or two light dots on my liner.
But this morning I've started my period and just feel like the area is more sensitive and, naturally, not dry.
Thankyou lisalouise999 for your reply. My GP has said definitely not to use Tampons and just to change the sanitary towel every time I go to the toilet.
I'd really appreciate a response from a health professional on here, just to put my mind at rest?
I'm also extremely paranoid that cysts can fill back up... are there any preventative measures I can take?

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:31 pm

It sounds like a Bartholin's gland that became inflamed and burst. If surgery wasn't required, they can recur, so if it is inflammed again I'd get seen as an emergency.
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

6 posts