Vaginal soreness

Ask our experts all your questions about vaginal issues here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
jbutcher

by jbutcher on Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:39 pm

Vaginal soreness

I am 55 years old. I went for 15 years without sexual intercourse and then met a guy I liked this time last year. Intercourse was impossible and I went to my GP who prescribed Vagifem pessaries. I couldn't use the oestrogen cream as I had intense pain and burning when trying to use it. I am therefore using the pessaries which do help but still cause a bit of burning. Although intercourse is now possible I can only cope with it for a short period of time before I start to feel sore and uncomfortable. Afterwards it takes a good 7 hours for a burning feeling to stop and my vaginal area to stop being swollen. I went through a medical menopause at the age of 38 where my womb and ovaries and fallopian tubes were removed. The cervix was left as it was too difficult to remove due to endometriosis and adhesions. I had HRT for 10 years and then stopped it. Is there anything else together with Vagifem that can help me or am I going to end up just having to put up with the discomfort. Also about 5 years ago I came off the smear test recall as it was impossible to do one however I hope to be able to start having smears tests again soon particularly as my sister has been diagnosed with vaginal wall cancer - I am, however, afraid of feeling the pain and discomfort that I had the last time they tried to do a smear test.

Jenny Greenfield

by Jenny Greenfield on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:44 pm

Re: Vaginal soreness

It is great that you have again met somebody that you wish to be sexually active with. To try and aid your vagainl dryness and hopefully help the soreness after you could try some more lubrication like Sylk or Ky jelly. With regards your cervica screening, by you being sexually active this may mak ethe procedure more bearable, but another option is that you could use oestrogen cream or pessaries for 2 weeks prior to your screen as this may make the procedure easier.

:)
Jenny Greenfield
Practice nurse manager

2 posts