Thrush,BV,repeat

Ask our experts all your questions about vaginal issues here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Jenny1

by Jenny1 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:15 pm

Thrush,BV,repeat

I asked a question about recurrent thrush on this forum last year.Unfortuntely this issue is still causing problems.I have had several swabs taken.I had heavy thrush infections most of the time.I had possible BV on two occasions and was treated with flagyl and had some relief with this.
But never for long.I have also had STD tests done even though I have not been sexually active.
I am not diabetic but have had a lot of infections and a lot of antibiotics to boot.
I find things can be worse around ovulation and period time.I find the start of my period very uncomfortable as it is like the first bit of blood is irritating and starts an itch.When the bleed is on it can be better.
I also notice white streaks on the inner lips and my GP was convinced it was thrush again but the last two swabs were clear of that.I also get very red and inflamed down below and this irritation can spread all the way to my bottom too.It's a burning like acid.
I just seem to be going round in circles with this and don't know how to make it stop.
Can a gynae help or who could help with this?.

lisalouise999

by lisalouise999 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:08 pm

Re: Thrush,BV,repeat

Hi there, I have just read your post and am absolutely so sorry you are having trouble. I am prone to thrush due to dryness, and that on its own is bad enough. Could there be a laundry detergent allergy? Personally I use Multi-Gyn to keep a good natural balance down below, maybe that could be helpful too? I really hope things improve and hope one of the experts can help with some advice

Jenny Greenfield

by Jenny Greenfield on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:53 pm

I am sorry to hear about your recurrent problems. Unfortunately for whatever reason some people are more prone to this than others. Have you tried changing your washing powder and shower/bath gel to something which is non biological and unscented? Sometimes when you have a lot of antibiotics for differing reasons this alone can cause thrush as can also the start of your period. Again this can all be associated with the PH of your vagina so maybe when these infections arise you could try washing in plain water. Other things to try are cotton gusseted knickers, not wearing tight jeans or tights. Someting else which could help to relieve the itchyness and redness is a tampon soaked in natural yogurt! :)
Jenny Greenfield
Practice nurse manager

Jenny1

by Jenny1 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:10 pm

Hi thanks for the replies. I have tried many things. Tried organic cotton pads. Only washing with water.
Tried multi gyn and found that burned.I have sensitive skin anyway. I gave up caffeine.
Take probiotics daily. Very frustrating and uncomfortable.

4 posts