brown discharge

Ask our experts all your questions about vaginal issues here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
julie1977

by julie1977 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:34 am

brown discharge

For the past 4 or 5 days I have had vaginal discharge which is dark brown in colour and sometimes quite thick in substance. I'm half way through my cycle and I'm really quite concerned as I've never experienced anything like this before. I am 36 years old and had a child 15 months ago (if that makes any difference).

Please can someone let me know if this is something I should be concerned about and should I go to the GP?

Many thanks.

Mika Henry

by Mika Henry on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:16 pm

Re: brown discharge

I've experienced this before too. I went to see my GP and she said that mid cycle spotting (often a dark colour) can be a sign of ovulation. It only happened the once so it wasn't a concern.
Don't worry, maybe just ring your Doctor Surgery and ask for a telephone call to be arranged with your GP to put your mind at rest

Jenny Greenfield

by Jenny Greenfield on Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:13 pm

Re: brown discharge

Hi
I am assuming that this is the first time that this has happended. It may be worth while getting investigated as you may have some infection. You do not say if your discharge is smelly, but even so if this is not usual for you then it would be prudent to see your GP or Practice Nurse for some swabs to be taken and if necesary a referal to gynae. You also do not say if you are using anything fro contraception- sometimes missed pills can cause irregular bleeding
;)
Jenny Greenfield
Practice nurse manager

3 posts