Aftermath of severe thrush

Ask our experts all your questions about vaginal issues here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
jaffacake

by jaffacake on Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:51 pm

Aftermath of severe thrush

Hi,

Is it possible to have nerve damage resulting in a loss if sensitivity after a severe case of thrush? About 10 years ago when I first met my long term partner and we had a lot of intercourse I developed a severe case of thrush, being rather inexperienced at the time it took a while for me to diagnose meaning that intercourse at the time was very painful and uncomfortable. Since recovering I would day that it has never quite felt the same since, instead of the pleasurable sensations I felt before I now can only feel the physical movement if that makes sense? Some positions are just plain uncomfortable like it's just directly hitting the walls of my vagina? I did mention this to my doctor many years ago and just found her unhelpful but it's so confusing when you just don't know.

Also I have not had a period now since June 24th 2013, I have just received a referral to a gynaecologist about it so will be following up on that, I've had a hormone test which is apparently okay and I don't have poly cystic ovaries but I wanted to ask if hormones control periods and I'm not having one how can my hormone levels be 'okay'? My sex drive is zero but I don't know if this is hormonal or psychological due to the problems mentioned above? I'm only 27!

Help please!

Many thanks!

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:38 pm

Re: Aftermath of severe thrush

I think that your gynaecologist will want to check your hormone levels including LH, FSH and estradiol, as well as your pituitary, thyroid and adrenal gland function.
The discomfort with intercourse can be due to low estogen levels, but it pre-dates your periods stopping so is more likely due to a syndrome of chronic pain that was perhaps in part triggered by the events of ten years ago (unfortunately, a lot of difficulties with sensation during intercourse are psychological), but I would ensure that you are examined internally and have an ultrasound when you see the gynaecologist.
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

jaffacake

by jaffacake on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:45 pm

Re: Aftermath of severe thrush

Thank you so much for your reply, it is really helpful to have some advice!

3 posts