Vaginal discharge

Ask our experts all your questions about vaginal issues here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Isobella

by Isobella on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:14 pm

Vaginal discharge

Hello there :)

First of all I should probably mention that I have had the contraceptive impant for nearly two years and my periods dissapeared completely a while ago. Around September I started getting unusual slightly yellow creamy discharge but I didn't pay attention to it at first. Then it started happening more often and ended up happening everyday. I wouldn't say it smells unusual, just a regular vaginal smell, but it's quite a lot more discharge than i'm used to and forced to wear panty liners everyday. On one occasion I had light bleeding the next day after having sex and then I got worried I might have an STI and went to my GP. She tested me for all STIs and everything came back negative and I was told it's probably just my implant acting up. I can understand the bleeding bit but I'm still puzzled as to why my discharge would just change because of the implant after having it in for about a year and a half when there was no changes for a good while. I'm considering going back to my GP as it hasn't gone away for months now and I'm wondering if it could be anything else. It is making me uncomfortable every day because I just feel wet all the time. I don't want my implant taken out as I have a regular partner and find it a convenient form of contraception. Is there anything non STI related that could be causing this discharge? And is it worth going to see my GP again? :roll:

Dr Sarah Gray

by Dr Sarah Gray on Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:59 pm

Re: Vaginal discharge

There are many reasons for vaginal discharge and if it is not bloody, offensive or very coloured there is unlikely to be a disease process responsible. The implant essentially works by stopping you releasing eggs and therefore you do not get the thick sticky mucus associated with ovulation. As a result you are likely to have the watery mucus all the time rather than part of the time. if you have negative swabs and your cervix is healthy I would strongly reassure you.
Dr Sarah Gray
Primary Care Lead for NHS Cornwall for Women's Health and Cancer

2 posts