Vaginal swelling during pregnancy

Ask our experts all your questions about vaginal issues here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
veronikaj

by veronikaj on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:42 am

Vaginal swelling during pregnancy

Hi I am currently 31 weeks pregnant. I've been experiencing some itching and swelling in the vaginal area for about a week and also some discharge. I figured I had a yeast infection which I found is quite common in pregnancies. After consulting my GP he said I should go ahead and try an over the counter cream. But, I went to a few pharmacies and none of them would sell it to me without a prescription because I am pregnant. I changed my soap to a special one for intimate areas which is supposed to regulate your pH levels and also changed my clothing as well to looser clothes. After a while the itching and swelling subsided and has now come back and it seems that only my right labia is swollen, to the point where it just looks red and is a little painful and my clitoris is also enlarged and it feels as though someone's sticking pins and needles through it every now and again. It makes everything very uncomfortable. Is this something that I should be very worried about? I'm seeing my GP tomorrow morning, should I asked to be referred to a gynaecologist? Or should I wait t it until it goes away and if so, are there any soothing remedies you can reccomend? By the way, my pregnancy is in no way threatened and is perfectly healthy as far as I'm aware. Thank you

Jenny Greenfield

by Jenny Greenfield on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:38 pm

Re: Vaginal swelling during pregnancy

Hi
It sounds like you are doing the right thing in seeing your GP tomorrow. Maybe he will prescribe you some canesten cream as this will almost certainly help with the swelling and itching.
:)
Jenny Greenfield
Practice nurse manager

2 posts