Menstruation/Implantation question

If you have questions about pregnancy, conception and fertility, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
cool_zaus

by cool_zaus on Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:55 am

Menstruation/Implantation question

My husband and I are trying to get pregnant. My period is quite regular and a few days after intercourse, I started having pms/pregnancy symptoms (dizzy, tired, bloated, weepy, appetite etc). (13-14 days later), exactly one day before my actual period was due to start, I saw a light brown colour on my underwear. The day after, I had heavy flow and severe cramps with a few dark red (liver texture) clots. They were of a good size but there were a few smaller ones too. The blood was bright red for 4 days with days 3-4 being slightly lighter in flow. There were two days when the cramps in the morning were very severe but they subsided after massaging my belly. 1) Is there any need for concern? I thought I was pregnant due to the symptoms (they've never been this noticeable before) but then the heavy flow suggests otherwise (have yet to take a test however read that one needs to wait 2 weeks post-menstruation?). 2) When does it become necessary to see a gynaecologist? 3) Is there a chance that I could still be pregnant even after the heavy flow? Hope you can help. :?

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: Menstruation/Implantation question

There's no need for concern, all that sounds normal. I just think that you are more concious of your cycle now that you are trying to concieve. You can do a pregnancy test when you miss your period (or before, depending on cycle length and sensitivity of the test). If your period was on time, and the pregnancy test was negative, you are not pregnant. However, if the bleeding was lighter or delayed, still do a pregnancy test and seek advice from your GP. If you are pregnant, and have no pain or bleeding, your GP will refer you to an obstetrician. If you have pain or bleeding in pregnancy, you should be seen in hospital as an emergency.
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

2 posts