Ectopic pregnancy IVF and coeliac disease

If you have questions about pregnancy, conception and fertility, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
mira_falls

by mira_falls on Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:27 pm

Ectopic pregnancy IVF and coeliac disease

Hi

I have just received a positive blood test for the autoimmune disorder called coeliac disease. I have had few symptoms apart from fertility issues and my mam is a coeliac. This is said to affect fertility including recurrent miscarriages. I have had problems conceiving and when I did after 18 months of trying it was sadly an ectopic pregnancy resulting in tubal loss.

We have been trying for another 13 months and have now started IVF with egg collection booked for 2nd April all being well. I am 37 but started trying at 34.

Husbands sperm result was 104 mill per ml, 8 % norm forms and 59% motility ( told normal). I have had normal LH, oestrogen and FSH readings but progesterone found to sometimes drop a little early so given cyclogest pessaries. My AMH reading has been 7.9 a couple of month ago which concerns me since I have discovered coeliac disease can sometimes result in earlier menopause. Judging by temps and blood results I am ovulating. We are both of healthy weight and lifestyle - husband is also 37.

I would like help with the following:

1)is any research to suggest that coeliac disease can result in ectopic pregnancy? As I did not have any of the usual reasons why an ectopic occurs.
2) a biopsy is required to diagnose fully coeliac disease but as IVF is coming up my preferred option is to go straight onto a gluten free diet to give me the best chance in IVF. To have an accurate biopsy I am told you need to include gluten in your diet. Can you see an issue with me deferring the biopsy until after IVF and hopefully a baby? I am going to seek dietician advice to ensure balanced gluten free diet and already taking pre conception vitamins
3) any ideas on any other problems can foresee on likelihood of conception from info provided?
Any help would be much appreciated

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:45 pm

Re: Ectopic pregnancy IVF and coeliac disease

answered in the other section
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

2 posts