termination fears

If you have questions about pregnancy, conception and fertility, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
ellerelle

by ellerelle on Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:18 pm

termination fears

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong thread, it seems to overlap with other subjects.

I'm 32 this year and was diagnosed with endometriosis 10 years ago, and have just found out that I've somehow managed to get pregnant. Keeping it isn't really an option as I already have three children (the youngest has spina bifida and hydrocephalous amongst other problems) and a history of complications in my pregnancies ( Iron depletion, post-partum hemorrhage and an ectopic to name but a few) and don't want to leave my children without a mother.
Just a few months ago my doctor asked me to start considering a hysterectomy due to the amount of pain I'm in for most of the month. If I have a termination will there be any likely complications, and more to the point, how much pain is it likely to cause on top of the pain I'm already in? I cant find much on the net and I'm getting myself into a state over it. Sorry for the long post, I just don't know what to do :(

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:45 pm

Re: termination fears

Firstly, having a termination is uncomfortable for a few days afterwards but should not add to the pain of your endometriosis. Likewise, the endometriosis will not add to your complication risk if the procedure goes as planned. Lastly, a hysterectomy is NOT a treatment for endometriosis.
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

2 posts