Endometrial polyp

If you have questions about pregnancy, conception and fertility, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

7 posts
Bulgaria

by Bulgaria on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:03 pm

Endometrial polyp

My partner and I have been trying to concieve for 2 years, including 10 months with a fertility clinic and IUI. On Thursday I decided to go a different doctor for a second opinion and she found a polyp in my ovary. What would be the correct course of action now? I'm 39 years old.

Dr Sarah Gray

by Dr Sarah Gray on Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:42 pm

Re: Endometrial polyp

I am a little confused as ovaries do not usually grow polyps..can you explain a little more. I would have thought an endometrial polyp (inside your womb) would have been picked up previously but they can develop.
Dr Sarah Gray
Primary Care Lead for NHS Cornwall for Women's Health and Cancer

Bulgaria

by Bulgaria on Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:27 am

Yes, sorry, its in my womb! (Doh! I'm very stressed by the news and not thinking straight). The new doctor said it was visible on the scans from my old clinic and also queried why it hadn't been mentioned earlier. I have been taking femara for the last 4 months and before that 1 month of Clomid. I am in Bulgaria at the moment and all this has happened over here, but I am due to come back to the UK next month.

Bulgaria

by Bulgaria on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:53 pm

I just got back from the hospital. The doctor wants to do a hysteroscopia after my next period to remove the polyp and check if there is anything left in my womb from my last pregnancy (I had a stillborn baby 3 years ago). She also found 2 large cysts on my right ovary - my follicles didn't rupture this month and are now cysts. She did a blood test for endometriosis. But the reading came back as 10, which she said means all is OK and no endometriosis. I would love to hear your opinion on all this. Its scary dealing with doctors in foreign country and a second opinion would be very reassuring.

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:30 pm

I agree with the plan for hysteroscopy and polyp removal, but there certainly won't be any tissue left over from your pregnancy 3 years ago!
Unless the cysts are >5cm I would simply re-scan in 2-3 months because they may resolve by themselves.
There is no reliable blood test for endometriosis by the way...
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

Bulgaria

by Bulgaria on Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:06 pm

Thank you very much for your reply and the information about cysts and endometriosis. I will go ahead with the polyp removal. The cysts are 3.4 and 3cm at the moment, both on my right ovary. The doctor also said that there is a small chance I could be pregnant even though the follicles didn't rupture, ie. they could have release the eggs. This sounds strange to me. Is a pregnancy possible in these circumstances?

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:16 pm

Never say never! but an early pregnancy would show up in a urine test if you want to reassure yourself
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

7 posts