Vaginal soreness post menstruation

If you have questions relating to any aspects of menstruation, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
loula2906

by loula2906 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:56 pm

Vaginal soreness post menstruation

Can anyone advise, for the last two months I have been experiencing thrush like symptoms during and towards the latter part of my period. I use tampons and have done so for 25 Years or so, never having had any problems. I believe the issue is tampon related as this last month I used towels due to the itching and soreness and the pain and uncomfortable feeling went away. Can anyone advise. Thank you.

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:10 pm

Re: Vaginal soreness post menstruation

It could be a natural change in the vaginal flora, treatable with something like aci-jel or equivalent, or indeed as you say, candidiasis (which should be treated orally and with vaginal pessaries). If you've been having periods for 25 years, it may also be related to lower estrogen levels, but you don't say your age (I'm just doing the maths!).
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

loula2906

by loula2906 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:29 pm

Thank you, yes it's could be related to low estrogen as I am now 44(ugh!). I would to continue using tampons as they are much easier. Do you recommend any supplements that could change the natural flora as I would rather not use an oral or cream thrush treatment monthly. I would prefer a preventative measure if I can.

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:30 pm

yes relactagel, aci-jel or boots even make their own one
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

4 posts