Pcos & weightless?

If you have questions about PCOS and associated conditions, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Gingermum2

by Gingermum2 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:38 pm

Pcos & weightless?

Hi, I've been diagnosed with PCOS, and undèractive thyroid since before 2000. I'm also 15 stone. I have go be for and have to undertake an annual fitness test within my job. I have two girls both conceived naturally and both babies were large 9lbs 3.5 and 8lbs 14 respectively. I keep I'm touch with an American site that emails be breakthroughs in new treatments an possibly causes but every time the research comes back that bariatric surgery is the only way to lose weight effectively. I'm on 500mg of metformin x2 twice a day as well as 50 micrograms of thyroxine. I go to the gym most days am probably don't eat enough instead of eating loads or loads of junk foods. Why is it that I can't get bariatric surgery ? My breasts also need reducing as they are a 34kk but because I'm overweight they won't reduce them so how can I get slim otherwise? I already hear the uou fat cow go on a diet! I only lose weight when I'm pregnant but thanks I don't want another child. I don't fit the criteria for bariatric surgery but my list of medical complaints gets worse each year. Arthritis, back neck and hip problems and even the dietition can see I've tried all Avenues. I've recently been told I have a double prolapse and I've already been told lose weight. If I eat any less I'll be nil by mouth... I'm beginning to get so stressed my body has more cortisol swimming round it than I can
Deal with and my beard is starting to get noticed - not good when I work with nasty men. I feel more of a bloke than my other half. Arghhhhhhh!!!

Dr Helen Fawcett

by Dr Helen Fawcett on Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:36 pm

Re: Pcos & weightless?

Hi,
sounds like your really struggling. PCOS is a very common condition, and causes its suffers a lot of stress. There are several things that help. Diet and exercise are very important. Exercise reduces insulin levels by 25%, so will help a lot. We advise our patients to follow a protein based diet with slow burning carbohydrates with 3 meals a day and no snacking. You should avoid sugars like fruit, buns, biscuits, cakes , as well as reducing complex carbs like bread , potatoes , pasta and rice. We aim to try and eat low GI foods , with a GI index of under 50. Increasing foods such as vegetables, pulses, salad, eggs fish and chicken/turkey.
You are on the maximum dose of metformin. The other medication we sometimes use is some oestragen supplementation, if you have accompanying low oestragen symptoms such as hot flushes, night sweats, poor sleep, headaches, tiredness, constipation. This can also reduce insulin levels and help you feel better if you are suffering from these type of symptoms.
Stress increases cortisol levels and can make PCOS worse. The best way to reduce stress is exercise and meditation, both of which have been proven to help. You tube do guided meditations if you are new to it.
Once your PCOS is under better control, your insulin levels will have dropped and then you will be able to lose weight.
Dr Helen Fawcett
GP with special interest in women's health

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/helen_fawcett.php

2 posts