PCOS and pain

If you have questions about PCOS and associated conditions, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
VictoriaC

by VictoriaC on Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:31 pm

PCOS and pain

I had a Dermoid Cyst when I was 18 years old. It was the size of a melon and had crushed my right kidney and was growing from my left ovary. Once this was removed, I have been in severe pain from my lower left side, I have experienced blood on a daily basis (using more than 4 pads a day) and find it difficult to move and exert myself. I can spend days in bed in huge amounts of pain. I was diagnosed with Polycystic ovaries when I was 20. I was told I had more cysts growing on my left ovary than my right. I was also told that I needed to start having children as soon as possible. Since then, I have been seen by doctors who have told me the same thing that I have PCOS and that I will need surgery if the pain continues. I don't know what my options are, I don't know if the bleeding is related to PCOS or the pain and if there is a specific time when I need to start having children. I am 22 years old and work full time and can't keep having time off work to stay in bed in pain!

Dr Helen Fawcett

by Dr Helen Fawcett on Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:47 pm

Re: PCOS and pain

Hi

its difficult to know what is causing the pain. Since it only started after your surgery it is possible that you developed adhesions (internal scar tissue) following this procedure. These adhesions can stick your bowel to the abdominal side wall, attach ovaries to bowel, or occur anywhere in your pelvis. They cause pain and can only be divided and released by having further surgery. However by having another operation, you run the risk of more new adhesions forming, so many surgeons are reluctant to do this as you may end up in worse pain with new adhesions than before the procedure. They cannot be seen on scans, and are only found at laparoscopy. Other cause of pelvic pain are endometriosis, which again is not usually seen on a scan but could be found at laparoscopy.
I think you need a pelvic and abdominal scan, this will show if there is anything else and check your kidneys, but will also look at the lining of the womb to see why you are bleeding continuously. Bleeding continuously is not usually a symptom of PCOS and needs investigating.
PCOS is treated with diet of 3 protein based meals per day , slow burning carbohydrates and no snacking, exercise, and a drug called metformin. If you need contraception and would like to regularize your periods you could go on the contraceptive pill, in addition. If you want to get pregnant, you may need assistance as ovulation can be poor in PCOS, this can be stimulated with a fertility drug called clomid when you are ready to start a family.
Dr Helen Fawcett
GP with special interest in women's health

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/helen_fawcett.php

2 posts