Can a laparoscopy miss endometriosis?

Ask our experts all your questions about endometriosis here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
janebees

by janebees on Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:27 pm

Can a laparoscopy miss endometriosis?

Can endometriosis be missed during a laparoscopy? I have very painful periods, heavy bleeding, pain in lower back and legs during period and pre-men as well. Painful bladder during period and ovulation alway feels like uti. Had bladder scan and camera, all normal. Painful bowel movement during period. Sharp pains and the dull ache when ovulating can last upto 4 days. Bloating during ovulation, pre-men and during period. Pain during and after sex. Mid cycle bleeding. Nearly alway tired. Only have about a week just after period where i feel okay still have slight pelvic pain, like a dull ache. I also have a shooting pain down the front of my leg just before and during my period. I think the pain radiates from ovary region. No cyst had scan.

The pain i experience since i started menstruating at 11, i am now 35, has lead me to miss school, college and work. I miss days with my family because i'm in such pain i have to stay in bed with hot water bottle and painkillers.

I had a PE when pg. i do have 2 children had my first at 24 and second at 28. Still had period like pain when pregnant. Both delivered by c-section.

When i had my laparoscopy over 2 months ago, was told had few adhesions from c-section which were removed but no endo. I had my lap a few days after my period.

Treatment i have now is just mirena coil. But now rather than having v heavy periods for 5 days, i bleed for 10 days. I still have all the pain.
After my lap i was discharged from gyne services.
I've no fibroids or PID.

If it not endo them what else can it be? Can endo be missed during lap?
Thank you for reading

lisalouise999

by lisalouise999 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:26 pm

Re: Can a laparoscopy miss endometriosis?

Hi, I have had endometriosis since age 16-17. I was diagnosed at age 21 by laparoscopy and laser treatment. I did experience alot of what you are describing but my pain was more sharp and insistent than a dull ache. It is possible for endo lesions to be so microscopic that they are not very visible, but considering how long you have been having pain it's not likely, in my opinion, but im no expert.

Either way, it is the periods that are the problem so I would highly recommend something like cerazette. Or the progesterone only injection. Starving endometrial lesions of oestrogen can shrink them, and the side effect is no periods. From forum experience, coils seem to make things more painful. I have no periods on cerazette and after 6 months, only experience mild pain every 3 month's.

In the more extreme treatment area, there is testosterone medications, which.obviously stop periods also. But with these come lots of side effects, so be careful to discuss everything with your doctor.

Again I am not an expert, just someone with several years experiencing and researching.

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:15 pm

Re: Can a laparoscopy miss endometriosis?

Another possibility is pelvic venous congestion. Your hormonal options are limited by your history of pulmonary embolus. However, I'd persevere withe the Mirena and if you are unhappy you could as to be referred back or for a second opinion.
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

3 posts