Endometriosis & Fibroids AFTER a hysterectomy?

Ask our experts all your questions about endometriosis here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
cookiemonster66

by cookiemonster66 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:21 pm

Endometriosis & Fibroids AFTER a hysterectomy?

I had an emergency hysterectomy aged 25yrs due to endometriosis and fibroids which was covering my other internal organs and womb, I am now 47 so that was 22 years ago, in 2005 I then had my ovaries removed as the growths had returned and caused a big lump on my ovaries and had also wrapped themselves around my vagina (internally) and rectum sticking them together, so now I have no gynae bits left at all - everything has now been surgically removed.I am on HRT and have been for over 20 yrs now.

My question is this, can I still get endometriosis and fibriods even though I have no gynae bits left as I am experiencing similar pain in that region which reminds me of the endio & fibroid pains, I cannot find any info as to whether they can still grow if all my gynae bits have been removed? Or can they ONLY grow if you still have some gynae bits?

many thanks!

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:17 pm

Re: Endometriosis & Fibroids AFTER a hysterectomy?

You can still get endometriosis and FIBROMAS after hysterectomy, but a more likely cause of your pain would be adhesions from your endometriosis and surgery.
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

cookiemonster66

by cookiemonster66 on Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:41 pm

Re: Endometriosis & Fibroids AFTER a hysterectomy?

Thanks for your reply!

3 posts