Exercise

If you have any questions about food addiction then please post them for the experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

6 posts
SaharaBliss

by SaharaBliss on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:06 pm

Exercise

I've done a lot of work recently to change food choices but someone mentioned not so long ago about somatotype. I'm a female and an endomorph, due to previous food addiction, and wondered if there's any specific exercise I should be doing to combat this.

Thanks

Gary Turner

by Gary Turner on Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:12 pm

Re: Exercise

Hi!

Doesn't really matter to be fair. All exercise will burn fat as an energy source.

If you do low intensity exercise you will burn more fat that at higher intensities - yet your body will also adapt so you end up more efficient and burning less overall as fuel - your metabolism will slow.

If you do high intensity exercise you burn a lesser amount of fat, yet still burn it, although this also has the effect of raising your metabolism and therefore keeps you burning this fat for longer.

In other words it doesn't really matter. Any exercise in a healthy manner is good exercise.

What matters more is setting the environment in the body in which you burn fat.

Best advice? Do the exercise that you enjoy. Your much more likely to get the best results if you stick with it, and enjoyment will be the key.

Hope this helps!
Gary Turner
Advisor to British Army School of Physical Training, World Champion Elite Sportsman

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... turner.php

SaharaBliss

by SaharaBliss on Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:10 pm

Thanks Gary, what do you mean by 'setting the environment in which the body burns fat'?

Gary Turner

by Gary Turner on Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:23 pm

Hi, the environment depends mainly on the individual and how they react when eating food and exercising. It's about the hormonal responses and the fat utilisation during exercise - all referenced against a person's metabolism and their 'set point' that their body has for their weight.

This is why diets don't work. Short term weight loss with long term fat gain as people 'bounce back' and over compensate.

Hormones look to insulin, glucagon, ghrelin and leptin.

Exercise burns fat - certain types under certain conditions burn more.

Metabolism - will slow to balance out energy deficit and speed up accordingly for energy surplus - all against the 'set point' the mind has for your homeostasis in respect to weight.

So lots to think about, and that's why it is important to seek someone out with this knowledge so that you can learn exactly what you need to do...
Gary Turner
Advisor to British Army School of Physical Training, World Champion Elite Sportsman

SaharaBliss

by SaharaBliss on Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:59 pm

Thanks Gary, I'm living proof that diets don't work having lost and regained in yo yo fashion throughout my adult life. I guess the complexity you describe takes it way over and above 'eat fewer calories than you burn'. Lots for me to think about, much appreciated x

Gary Turner

by Gary Turner on Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:52 pm

My pleasure, its what we're here for!
Gary Turner

6 posts