Bad habits

If you have any questions about food addiction then please post them for the experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

9 posts
talkhealth

by talkhealth on Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:06 pm

Bad habits

Hi experts,

At talkhealth we know that one of the most common problems for our members struggling with food addiction is "How do i break the habit?". If people have been addicted to food and using food as comfort for a long period of time how would you suggest they take control of their addiction and stop themselves reverting back to old habits shortly after starting a new program?

Thanks,
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Gary Turner

by Gary Turner on Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:47 pm

Re: Bad habits

Hi!

It is very hard to break a habit - instead, it is easier to replace that habit with one that is stronger.

An alternative can be found, one that satisfies just as much physically yet even more so emotionally. One that is safer, healthier, and best for you. The alternative needs to be one that is 'satisfying' for your bodies perceived health, such as 5 deep slow breaths (the breathing out will relax you which is good), taking a glass of water slowly (satisfying the stomach that something has gone in), dropping and giving it 10 press-ups (raises heart lungs and metabolism) or something else that gives you the end emotion - the end emotion that matches what you want to feel from your food.

Think about it as, not this, but this, it's better...

You may need to take some experimenting with the alternative to find the one that works. But give it a go!

Another way is to imagine - completely and totally imagine - eating that food. Every bite, every chew, every swallow. Your body will respond as though you've eaten that food - and this usually satisfies any cravings associated.

Got self-talk driving you to do that habit? One quick way is to put your tongue hard on the roof of your mouth. Through a neurological bit of fun this inhibits or completely switches off the self-talk.

These are just some ideas. Every person is different. I work in hypnotherapy and use this approach. Others may prefer a cognitive behavioural therapist or other professional to work with them. If you can't do it through will power or the advice above, then please don't hesitate to contact me or fellow expert on here Adam Eason (another hypnotherapist) and we'll help you locate the right person for you.
Gary Turner
Advisor to British Army School of Physical Training, World Champion Elite Sportsman

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... turner.php

freespiritunleashed

by freespiritunleashed on Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:22 pm

My addiction is around refined sugar. Earlier this year I removed the refined sugar from my diet however my fruit intake shot through the roof.

Jessie Pavelka

by Jessie Pavelka on Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:40 pm

This is what I would suggest: First you must be aware of what is taking your power, or what you are powerless to. After this you have options. I like what Gary said above and would like to expand upon the breathing part. When we are "in it" and cravings are taking control, we are breathing shallow, and not staying grounded, this is a great opportunity to start change. If you are aware and able, ground yourself by taking deep breaths, and when you feel grounded and relaxed, try and imagine your higher most powerful self, the one that makes good choices, the one that's ready for change, that stands tall and is excited about life. If that voice, the "little me" is screaming in your ear, take action and physically knock that voice away with your hand. Remember, If you are working with something extreme you must try and do things differently, so be open. It takes surrender, sacrifice and love for things to work, so be kind to yourself, love yourself and know that you are doing the best that you can do.
Jessie Pavelka
Fitness and Wellbeing Expert

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... avelka.php

Jessie Pavelka

by Jessie Pavelka on Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:54 pm

freespiritunleashed wrote:My addiction is around refined sugar. Earlier this year I removed the refined sugar from my diet however my fruit intake shot through the roof.
Fruit isn't refined sugar, but if you eat it in excess it can work against you. Try and stick with low GI fruits ie apples, pears, and berries - and balance your fruits out with some nice veg. All in all, you should be proud, you've made changes that are serving your body well, now just get a better understanding of quality and quantity.
Jessie Pavelka

Julie 77

by Julie 77 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:00 pm

For me it's the battle of wills between the one side of me that says 'Now now, that Chocolate Bar is not what you need! ' and the other that says 'that Chocolate bar looks delicious, lets have two! Then lets see what else we can eat!' More often than not its the other that wins, even though as I'm eating the delicious chocolate bar I'm telling myself to stop. Then guilt sets in and I want to eat more delicious chocolate bars to make me feel better...and the cycle continues!

freespiritunleashed

by freespiritunleashed on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:32 pm

Thanks Jesse that's really helpful. I am still including apples when I make green juices...but the bananas could go. I'm also looking at changing routines...similar to quitting smoking, changing patterns, creating new habits, etc. Slowly moving everything in a different direction. So thanks.

Jessie Pavelka

by Jessie Pavelka on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:45 pm

Julie 77 wrote:For me it's the battle of wills between the one side of me that says 'Now now, that Chocolate Bar is not what you need! ' and the other that says 'that Chocolate bar looks delicious, lets have two! Then lets see what else we can eat!' More often than not its the other that wins, even though as I'm eating the delicious chocolate bar I'm telling myself to stop. Then guilt sets in and I want to eat more delicious chocolate bars to make me feel better...and the cycle continues!
Have a look at my first entry b/c you may find it will help you. Try not to deprive yourself, but better understand that the chocolate YOU are craving (milk chocolate) is due to a more chemical addiction to the sugars. You can still enjoy dark chocolate (anything above 60% cocoa ) in moderation. If you try to fight this, more times than not, you will listen to the wrong voice, but if you work with other, more healthy options, you may find it easier. I hope this helps.
Jessie Pavelka

Julie 77

by Julie 77 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:25 pm

Thanks, you have some great advice. I know I need to work on the triggers that make me eat, I'm not sure I'm ready to challenge them as, in a way food is my comfort blanket but I know that it'll only get worse if I don't start the wheels turning. Thanks again for your reply :)

9 posts