Addiction to carbohydrates

If you have any questions about food addiction then please post them for the experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
IvonneMiddleton

by IvonneMiddleton on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:15 pm

Addiction to carbohydrates

Good evening
I think I have an addiction to food, specially to carbohydrats. I am always craving for food and once I start with carbohydrates I find it very difficult or impossible to stop. How can I know if this is a food addiction and what can I do? I've gained about 30 kilos in 3 years
Thank YOu

Gary Turner

by Gary Turner on Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:05 pm

Re: Addiction related topics

Hi Yvonne, it isn't addiction, it's hormones!

When you eat carbs your body produces insulin to 'process' it. Insulin inhibits leptin, which tells you that you are full, and increase ghrelin, that tells you that you are hungry! So eating carbs keeps you hungry.

Don't eat the carbs in the first place, and you won't fuel the hunger! Or at least, eat from lower GI sources that produce less of a response.

Perhaps more helpfully, if you eat the carbs with protein and fat, it lowers the insulin response still further.

Have a look at the food section, and my other posts on this clinic - there are already lots of little helpful interventions that will help you to be how you want to be!

Kind regards,

Gary
Gary Turner
Advisor to British Army School of Physical Training, World Champion Elite Sportsman

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... turner.php

2 posts