the effects of medicatio

You can ask our experts questions here that don't fall into one of the categories below.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
gramps427

by gramps427 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:18 am

the effects of medicatio

Hi, I've had long term health problems starting with a prolapsed disc L4/5 in 1994 followed by Hypertension and unstable Angina in 94/5 an MI in 1997 and more recently type 2 Diabetes, a 2nd prolapse L3/4, Glaucoma, Obstructive Sleep Apnoea, further problems with 4 Abnormalities in the neck Depression, Hyperlidaemia and night sweats that soak my pillow, trouble breathing through my nose when I lay down, excess mucus, etc, etc. This means I am loaded up on meds: Omeprazole 20 mg, Oramorph, Paracetamol, Viscotears, Bimaprost, Bendroflumethiazide 2.5, Metformin 500, Isosorbide Mononitrate 20, Lisinopril 20, Lercanidipine 10, Aspirin 75, Atorvastatin 20, Bisoprolol 10, Nicorandil 10. My bowel movements change from one extreme to another, almost in a cyclical routine. I'm either producing small ball bearings, passing glass, leaving a big mass in the bottom of the pan or scatter gun shooting the side's then all out diarrhoea before firming up and producing not a single stool but recognisable stools. I've looked at these meds for side effects and its no surprise that many cause problems. I'm having to sit 4 sometimes 5 times a day and have a perianal haematoma. Other than drinking more water and possibly fasting 2 days week is there anything I can do?

Dr Anton Bungay

by Dr Anton Bungay on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:24 pm

Re: the effects of medicatio

the only medication you are on that could lead to a constipated bowel is the oramorph. It sounds like this may be the main problem but of course any change in bowel habit with or without rectal bleeding needs to be further investigated. Anyway assuming that has been done why not try and regulate things better with a laxative taken every single day. You could try 2 sachets or more a day of Movicol or if that does not suit you why not try senna tablets starting at 2 to 3 a day at bedtime
Dr Anton Bungay
Consultant Gastroenterologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... bungay.php

2 posts