Rectal irrigation

Ask our experts your questions about bladder problems including, continence, weak pelvic floor, overactive bladders or any other bladder related issues.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
pipsmum2

by pipsmum2 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:22 pm

Rectal irrigation

Hi
My previous post seems to have got lost somewhere, so I'll try again.
I have a connective tissure disorder and other health problems. I've had several different rectal prolapses and a rectopexy four years ago for intussusception. At various times I've had to self-catheteris, and for the last 3 months, I've been using rectal irrigation. I hae some questions about this:
My 'monthly' kit for the irrigation only contains 14 cones. As I am now needing a bm most days, this is not enough. However, my continence nurse/GP practice will not allow more, so even though the pack says don't re-use cones, I'm washing them for re-use. Is that okay?
Is it safe to use irrigation long-term, without causing any sphincer damage?
I've a feeling my bladder may be prolapsing to some extent again. Could the pressure from the irrigation be contributing to this?
And finally, I'm seeing my uro-gyny and colo-rectal drs this week, with a view to trying tibial stimulation. Have you any information about this being used for complete failure of the pubo-rectalis muscle/pelvic floor problems?
Thank you so much for reading this. I look forward to your comments.
Kathy

Mr Benjamin Challacombe

by Mr Benjamin Challacombe on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:37 pm

Re: Rectal irrigation

Please see answer to the same question in the 'Bowel section', answered by Dr Nick Read.
Mr Benjamin J Challacombe
Consultant Urological Surgeon and Honorary Senior Lecturer

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... acombe.php

2 posts