HELP blood protein and recurrent urine infections

Ask our experts your questions about bladder problems including, continence, weak pelvic floor, overactive bladders or any other bladder related issues.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
celticghirl

by celticghirl on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:56 am

HELP blood protein and recurrent urine infections

Since 2011 I have been passing urine containing stool (intermittently) which is foamy and disgusting. Recurrent urine infections and spent most of last year on antibiotics - lab results/urine dipsticks test positive for protein and blood and ecoli (intermittent). Blood results show low protein levels - albumin I think?

I have chronic constipation and recurrent bouts of diverticulitis which were originally caused by low thyroid levels. In 2011 I was prescribed 2 picolax daily along with movicol and seem to be immune to this dose now as had to be increased to 3/4 daily. I'm convinced the picolax is making me ill. I get dehydrated despite lots of fluids. My legs swell., cramps/tingling, headaches. sweats and general weakness - have needed fluids in hospital a few times - I also suspect that half the swelling in my stomach might be fluid? When I stand up it feels like my whole gut moves, I vomit or retch depending on space in stomach for food. Basically have no quality of life!

I also have issues with incontinence due to picolax - can't cough etc. - vicious circle as this only happens with laxative but if I don't take I'm in agony. I'm gaining weight despite no appetite - recent blood tests showed malnourishment or malabsorption, sorry one of the two?

I had ct scan to check for ? fistula? Result negative but couldn't rule out as bowel contiguous with bladder. I get the fact it was negative but why no further investigations? I'm really struggling with it all - can someone help...please. By the way. I'm under 50 years old..

Edit to add - I forgot to mention that I'm lucky if I pass urine twice a day.

Thanks in advance

Mr Benjamin Challacombe

by Mr Benjamin Challacombe on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:25 pm

Re: HELP blood protein and recurrent urine infections

Sounds like a fistula is still a possibility.
Would recommend a Cystoscopy to look in the bladder and a gastrograffin water soluble enema to try and prove it.
The urine needs culturing when it has debris in it.
A rare urine infection is another option.
Mr Benjamin J Challacombe
Consultant Urological Surgeon and Honorary Senior Lecturer

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... acombe.php

2 posts