Chilblains

If you have questions about skin conditions other than those listed below, please create a new topic in this sub-forum and ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Seashell84

by Seashell84 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:47 pm

Chilblains

I'm a 30yr old female and every winter I seem to end up with Chilblains on my fingers, toes and occasionally ears which usually recur until the weather warms up. Was lucky last year as it was quite mild, but usually I end up with quite a few on each finger (with the index finger being the worst), to the point where I can't actually bend it or touch anything and of course they are terribly itchy. I also now have a seemingly permanent sore finger around the knuckle area on the index finger of my right hand (there were several in one area here). It, although not being particularly bad, has been sore to touch, bend & straighten or if accidentally hit by something for nearly a year now. Is there anything I can do to help this, or to avoid it happening again?

Unfortunately our house (also where I work) is very cold and difficult to heat, and I am in and out quite a bit as well. I'm also unable to wear gloves for work and again for work related reasons find it difficult to use hand lotions as cream tends to come off if it gets slightly damp. I do try to keep warm e.g. wearing boot slippers even from August but it never seems to be enough to prevent them. Also as far as I know, I have no underlying conditions causing this.

Many thanks for your help.

Dr Jonathan Bowling

by Dr Jonathan Bowling on Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:18 pm

Re: Chilblains

Hi There,

It sounds like you are trying all the simple treatments such as maintaining core warmth with long sleeve thermal clothing, double gloves etc. It may be worthwhile seeing your GP to discuss considering medical treatment with calcium channel blocker tablets or even GTN patches, both of which may help prevent flares.

For active lesions, topical steroids, although greasy may still be worthwhile persevering with.

Good luck
Dr Jonathan Bowling FRCP
Consultant Dermatologist
Oxford

http://www.mydermatologist.co.uk
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... owling.php

Seashell84

by Seashell84 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:17 pm

Re: Chilblains

Thank you for replying to this post as well as my other one. Two very different issues but this one is a lot harder to deal with than staying out of the sun! Thanks again for your help. :)

3 posts