Lichen Planus

If you have questions about skin conditions other than those listed below, please create a new topic in this sub-forum and ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Mazzmate

by Mazzmate on Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:18 am

Lichen Planus

Hello, I was diagnosed with Lichen Planus, and oral lichen planus about 18 months ago, the oral one was biopsied so the diagnose is correct. The skin one, which was mostly on my legs has had no treatment at all except one tube of Betnovate in the early itchy stage. The arms are greatly improved, just a few little brown spots left around but my legs both have large unsightly brown patches not unlike birthmarks, do I now how these slightly raised rough patches for the remainder of my life? I understand it may be auto-immune and no treatment can be given. This skin complaint was just given a cursory glance from the GP who did not show much interest. The oral one was fortunately picked up at my 6 monthly visit to the dentist. Thanks

Dr Jonathan Bowling

by Dr Jonathan Bowling on Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:01 pm

Re: Lichen Planus

Hi There,

Lichen planus can affect both the skin and any mucosal surface, hence your description is not unusual.

Not uncommonly once the inflammatory response settles there can be residual pigmentation in the skin or mucosal site (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation) which can take months , or longer, to clear. Generally this pigmentation does settle in time. Topical treatment to the mucosal sites can ease discomfort and include steroids mouthwash, (tablets/capsule contents dissolved in water) or a topical gel / paste.

If the patches on your legs fell palpable, i.e. the skin feels thickened at those sites, then the inflammatory component may still be present. In this case it may then be worthwhile restarting the betnovate that you have already been prescribed. Use it twice a day until the inflammatory component settles.

Generally, as lichen planus is an inflammatory skin condition, it would be advisable to reduce / avoid contact with skin irritants such as soap and to use a soap substitute to wash with and apply regularly. Your GP can put these creams (E45, Cetraben, Diprobase, Doublebase, Epaderm etc.) on your NHS prescription.

More information on Lichen Planus can be found on the British Association of Dermatologists website.

I hope this helps
Dr Jonathan Bowling FRCP
Consultant Dermatologist
Oxford

http://www.mydermatologist.co.uk
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... owling.php

2 posts