Palms of hands - peeling skin?

If you have questions about skin conditions other than those listed below, please create a new topic in this sub-forum and ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
wombat1966

by wombat1966 on Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:14 pm

Palms of hands - peeling skin?

Hello,
I am 47 years old.About every three months (for the past five years) or so I can peel (in more or less one attempt) all of the skin off the palms of my hands and fingers completely and don't know why it happens. The skin is not sore, does not itch and as far as I'm aware am not allergic to anything for eg: I haven't changed washing powder or soap? As far as I am aware don't have dry skin either....
It does not happen to any other parts of my body.
Can anybody offer any advice please?
Just to add I have not been to the doctor about it as of yet
Thanks,
David.

flowers27

by flowers27 on Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:58 am

Re: Palms of hands - peeling skin?

My partner has the same problem, though he is a little younger than yourself, and like you has not been to the doctors so you are not alone.

The only thing I can suggest, and have to my partner, is to use loads of non fragranced moisturiser / emollient with cotton gloves at night (I know not very sexy) but stops the cream getting all over the bed sheets.

I will be keeping a close eye on any replies you get to see if anything works.

Helen

nanapam

by nanapam on Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:52 am

Hello David
I had this problem a couple of times last year and like you I hadn't changed anything at all. I hate going to the doctors and usually have a chat with the pharmacist at my local Boots as I did in this instance. The pharmacist told me that peeling skin on the palm of hands is quite common and certainly nothing to worry about. He suggested using 1% hydrocortisone cream which is easily available over the counter at Boots for about £3 or £4. It is a steroid cream so care has to be taken as the cream will thin the skin if overused. I used it before bed for 3 nights and the peeling completely stopped. It came back a few months later so I used the cream again and it went away. It hasn't returned since.
David, I'm not a doctor nor am I an expert, I'm simply telling you what worked for me. Hope this helps.
Regards
Pamela

wombat1966

by wombat1966 on Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:11 pm

Thank you for both your replies.Next time it happens I'm going to take a picture and show my doctor as well. I have been diagnosed with cyclical Cushing's syndrome and do wonder if that could be anything to do with it.
My body basically produces too much of the steroid cortisol. I had one adrenal gland removed last January.
I will mention to my endocrinologist at my next appointment.

4 posts