Steroid seems to be unuseful for me anymore

Ask our experts your questions about all aspects of eczema and dry skin.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
kellychu526

by kellychu526 on Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:07 am

Steroid seems to be unuseful for me anymore

I've eczema since I was a kid. It hadn't appear for like 3-4 years previously, but now it 's started again on my jaw! I did use decocort and triderm cream which both contain steroid for 2 weeks. However, the infected part doesn't seem to repair. If steroid is still unuseful for treating my situation, what can I do?

ckbridgett

by ckbridgett on Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:52 pm

Re: Steroid seems to be unuseful for me anymore

:( Frustrating when this happens....
1. Infection can be the problem - once the infection is properly treated, the steroids will work again
2. If the skin is being regularly scratched & rubbed, then topical treatment can be less effective
3. Perhaps also make sure that what you have is still eczema - check this out with your doctor
Is that helpful?
;)
Dr Christopher Bridgett
Consultant Psychiatrist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... idgett.php

Dr Stephen Kownacki

by Dr Stephen Kownacki on Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:29 pm

Re: Steroid seems to be unuseful for me anymore

A sudden recurrence of what appears to be eczema could be due to infection such as a folliculitis affecting the hair follicles or a fungus especially if on one side of the face only. An allergic reaction to something you are putting on your face or from your hands is also possible since the steroid will not be able to cope with continued irritation. The fact that a topical steroid has not helped suggests it is not just simple eczema so a review by your GP would be wise and a swab for bacteria and/or a scrape for fungus would be helpful.
I hope it settles soon
Dr Stephen Kownacki
MBBS LRCP MRCS MRCGP DRCOG

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/dr_stephen_kownacki.php

3 posts