Salicylic Acid 3% products?

You can ask our expert panel your questions about psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Rickyhom

by Rickyhom on Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:03 pm

Salicylic Acid 3% products?

I have psoriasis on my feet and hands. I have tried many mostly expensive products including the prescription only protopic. However the best products I have used have all contained 3% salicylic acid but I have to obtain them from USA most recently Dermarest which I initially found on Amazon. My question is are there any similar products that I could buy in UK?

Dr Stephen Kownacki

by Dr Stephen Kownacki on Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:32 am

Re: Salicylic Acid 3% products?

Diprosalic is a prescription only combination potent steroid and salicylic acid preparation which is very useful. We have had great problems getting supplies of salicylic acid ointments recently. You have probably tried using cling film or similar as a patch (not around the feet) over a greasy emollient such as epaderm or 50/50 WSP/Liquid paraffin held in place bu a cotton sock or tubular bandage but if not then try it.
Dr Stephen Kownacki
MBBS LRCP MRCS MRCGP DRCOG

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/dr_stephen_kownacki.php

Rickyhom

by Rickyhom on Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:43 am

Re: Salicylic Acid 3% products?

Thank you for your advice. I actually won't use steroid creams - I tried them once on my fingers and it made them more sore. This is why I tried the Protopic but was not impressed when I used it again recently. The psoriasis on my fingers presents as peeling skin and the best product I have found is Liz Earle Hand Serum- again expensive!!

On my feet as an emollient I use Flexitol Naturals - which again I have to buy online- as Boots don't sell that variant anymore. This copes well with the dry psoriasis on the soles of my feet.

I use the salicylic acid preparations on the parts which have a red circular ring of spots, at the moment on my heels which looks like ringworm but apparently isn't!! I have also had success at night with the inside of a banana skin taped to itchy parts and held in place with socks !!

3 posts