I feel shunned

Any questions about living with epilepsy should be asked in this sub-forum.

Moderator: talkhealth

7 posts
Fozzeduk

by Fozzeduk on Wed May 21, 2014 8:19 am

I feel shunned

Hi, ive had grande mal seizures for 30 years, and it is still here im not so much frightened of siezures any more,but there are many times i have a post seizure aggression which sort of started after ten years,and frighten me i have attacked my wife,and when they first started attacked my doctor who was realy good about it and assured me he understands and wants me to stay with the practice i broke into tears in his surgery,eventualy my doctor moved on into the care home side of things in another city a little later i moved from the catchment area,when i returned i found a surgery but always told them the truth about myself, about in april i met a very awkward,very oppinionated sort of on the edge of nasty i made a complaint about her attitude to the practice manager,and just as i thought that was the end of the matter i recieve a letter from the practice to tell me im being removed from the practice,the reason being ive attacked a doctor and been aggressive on occasions with my wife (and carer) when i rang them i explained ive been there for four years..she replied yes and you are polite and admit we have never had a problem with you but the partners had a meeting and decided this was the best course.the partners included the above doctor and went on to say dont worry about it going on your file your new doctor will be told nothing of this,but i wont lie or say nothing..i feel like im being dumped on another doctors doorstep,i want a doctor who knows and understands my condition and excepts me for who i am im not a monster,i live my life around epilepsy never go anywhere without my wife,and when i do its after ive had a seizure..the neurologist says about the aggression...''thats epilepsy'' we are trying to control it and when we sort the epilepsy we also sort out the aggression...i realy feel dumped and shunned.

Jelly Syrup

by Jelly Syrup on Wed May 21, 2014 10:59 am

Re: I feel shunned

Thinking of you hope you find an understanding GP soon. Can't your consultant write you a letter to explain about your condition as GP's are not all experts in everyone's Epilepsy? Take care from Jelly Syrup

Dr Hannah Cock

by Dr Hannah Cock on Wed May 21, 2014 11:14 am

Dear Fozzeduk,
I'm sorry to hear of your experience, and as already suggested you should ask your consultant for advice. Sometimes consultants have a good idea of which local practices are more likely to be sympathetic in this situation/have a GP with an interest in epilepsy and/or associated mood or behaviour problems.

If you aren't able to resolve this with the practice directly, you can also seek advice/help from NHS england - see the links on http://www.nhs.uk/choiceintheNHS/Yourch ... aints.aspx

Good luck
Hannah
Dr Hannah Cock
Consultant Neurologist

English Mum

by English Mum on Wed May 21, 2014 1:20 pm

I find this issue quite shocking. As a recently retired professional I would discipline any member of staff who conducted themselves in such a way. I strongly believe that you should pursue a complaint against the practice and the individual doctor whilst seeking somewhere more sympathetic and professional in their conduct. I cannot advise you to stay where you are clearly not wanted.

Why are doctors allowed to get away with behaving in this way? No other profession is. If a client complains about our work or ourselves, however unfairly, all other professions have to investigate and manage complaints - we can't just get rid of the client because it is easier this way. There is also the small matter of the Equalities Act 2010 which requires all suppliers of services (including doctors) to make reasonable adjustments for people with disabilities and this includes people with epilepsy. If they think you might be a danger to one of their staff (which seems to be unlikely) then a reasonable adjustment is to ensure two people see you.

If you feel unable to pursue your complaint on your own, may I suggest an appointment with your local Citizens Advice Bureau so they can help you with the process. In my retirement it is now my day job and I and my colleagues happily support people in seeking appropriate redress.

Fozzeduk

by Fozzeduk on Thu May 22, 2014 8:59 am

In reading your words this morning, i feel my eyes welling up but at the same time feeing less lonely and even lifted,and would like to thank you.
My wife who has been my ''rock'' raised an issue last night that i had not thought about,she is a patient there too and when she goes to the doctor i have always gone with her and vice versa she is 65 has lung problems and not in the best of health,she asked me..''i have to go to the surgery for bloods soon..does all this mean you cant come with me ? are you banned from the building ? if so then they should have told me to leave too, for as much as i want to leave this practice right now with you these bloods are important and i have to have them done..and then we will try to find a decent doctor together,i found myself saying im sorry to her,she put her arm around me and said..''we have been through worse''.

English Mum

by English Mum on Thu May 22, 2014 11:03 am

Thank you for your moving response. You may be having a rough time but you are clearly blessed with a loving and supportive wife. I wish you both well in finding a way forward and remember there are people out there ready and willing to help.

Andrew Kelso

by Andrew Kelso on Thu May 22, 2014 6:14 pm

Dear Fozzeduk

I'm really sorry to hear your story.

Do you have an epilepsy nurse? If so, perhaps they could talk to your new GP on your behalf? The Epilepsy charities (Epilepsy Action or the Epilepsy Society) would be able to help you find out if there is an epilepsy nurse local to you that you could be referred to, if you don't have one already.

Andrew
Dr Andrew Kelso
Consultant Neurologist at Barts Health NHS Trust

7 posts