flatulence

If you have any questions relating to digestives issues such as constipation, heartburn and bloating please post them for the experts in this forum.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
alec4674

by alec4674 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:20 am

flatulence

since having a quad heart bypass 4 years ago i seem to have adopted constant flatulence,i have been for a colorectal examination that found two very small polyps and removed them,other than that could it be the medication that im on thats causing the flatulence,i take bisoprolol 2.5mg amlodipine 5mg,and lipitor 10mg. MANY THANKS.

Dr Nick Read

by Dr Nick Read on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:59 pm

Re: flatulence

None of the medication you are on, the beta blocker, calcium channel stabiliser and the statin have flatulence listed as a side effect although bisoprolol and Lipitor can occasionally cause diarrhoea, which might suggest an acceleration of small bowel transit and therefore increased delivery of fermentable sugars/starches to the colon. However, there are two other possibilities. First, It is possible that you were put on a weight reducing, low fat, cholesterol lowering diet after your by pass and are as a result eating more fruit vegetables and fibre. That would certainly cause flatulence. Second, I imagine that a life saving op could make you much more aware of your own mortality, causing constant anxiety and preoccupation with health. That too could alter gut transit and might also cause more of the fermentable foods you might be eating to enter the colon. Of the three, I think the combination of food and mood is more likely.
Dr Nick Read
Gastroenterologist and Psychoanalytical Psychotherapist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... k_read.php

2 posts