eczema troubles and worries

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

3 posts
FlyLeafso

by FlyLeafso on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:19 pm

eczema troubles and worries

This is just me ranting on about my eczema but, if anyone can help for example giving me advise on any eczema friendly clothes ^.^ then please do so!
Hi,
So I have had eczema since I was a few months old and I am now 17, my eczema came back when I was 15 due to my family getting cat. I didn't know at the time that I was allergic to cats and because of this I spent the next three years with no clue why my eczema became so aggressive. Now my eczema is slowly going away since we gave our cat away, however I have still have sleepless nights due to scratching my face and I have tried everything my eczema nurse could prescribe me. So I was referred to the dermatologist ,Since my first trip to the dermatology clinic my doctor prescribed me steroid creams , I told her that I have tried them before and that it only works for the first week and my skin goes back to being rough and flaky as well as swollen. So she prescribed a different one, and it did the same thing (I knew this would happen). I had blood tests too to see what I am allergic to as well as my vitamin levels and iron levels. For me when I take a blood test they can’t do it from my arms (since my skin is too think and they can’t find the veins thanks to my eczema) this results in them trying both my hands and them both my feet (I get really light headed because of this) when they eventually fond a vein they took my blood. The nurse did tell me that it might not be enough to test but she will send it anyway. And it turned out that it wasn't enough and they will have to do this again in before my next appointment with my dermatologist in June.

even though my eczema isn't as bad as it was when I was 15, I still have low self-esteem and my face becomes hot and starts to sweat (this is really embarrassing for me and even happens in winter!!) so I tend to stay at home a lot which has resulted in my having low vitamin D. there isn't anyone else I can talk to that has eczema like me so its frustrating trying to explain how you feel when others don't understand (it isn't their fault it’s just hard for me to explain how it feels). It doesn't help that spring is coming since my skin will be even warmer; it’s just hard to handle all of this. Before I go to school I have to always think what can I wear that won't make me too warm and I come extra early to school so that I can go to the toilets and cool down as much as I can.

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:45 am

Re: eczema troubles and worries

Sorry to hear that and no problem with the ranting. As for the clothing, I would say a fresh change of cotton clothing if you sweat as the weather gets warmer. Sweat can trigger eczema flares - either from the sweat itself, or from the sweat residue after evaporation. So maybe wipe sweat off with moist tissue, moisturize and change of clothing? No particular clothing brand in mind, take care!
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

marigoldgran

by marigoldgran on Thu May 12, 2016 12:21 am

Re: eczema troubles and worries

Hi, very sorry to hear about your trouble with eczema. I have successfully helped many people with the following remedies. Please take time to read carefully and I hope you find my advice helpful.
Chickweed! It is an amazing little plant and it really works. Cleared my daughter 's horrid eczema which only got worse and worse with steroid creams and Aquous gunk. Very cheap too, from a well known market place. Just buy 'dried Chickweed', put 1 teaspoon in a mug, pour boiled water on top as making tea and cover with a saucer. Let brew at least 15 minutes and let cool. Then dab on any eczema and keep on doing so until there is improvement. There will be and it is lovely to see. The same happens if you use Calendula (Marigold). Calendula is anti inflammatory an soothing even for babies. C.'tea' knits broken skin together very quickly. You can buy dried Calendula very cheaply too and use like CW. You can also drink the tea for stomach upsets. After the skin has been 'sealed' with the 'tea' treatment, use Calendula cream, or CW cream, and avoid anything with paraffin which only blocks skin like a plastic wrapping and does not let it breathe. It also contains no healing properties whatsoever. You can also moisturise with Sweet almond oil (so gentle that it is used as a massage oil for babies) straight from the bottle, or Jojoba oil which is actually a liquid wax but it lets the skin breathe and does not block pores like paraffin does.Virgin Coconut oil is another amazing oil which many people absolutely love.

Also, you can have a bath without emollients. You can make bath oil and it is lovely. It contains 1 part of Polysorbate 80 and 3 parts of oils of your choice, say, Almond, Coconut or Jojoba. Put all in a bottle, shake up and use 1 cap full in a bath. The oil mixes with water and does not float on top, so you are not sitting in an oil slick. Also, in the warm bath the healing oils penetrate your skin and leave it moisturised afterwards.
But do not forget that eczema also needs treatment from the inside. Bad diet, lack of vegetables and fruit, fast foods, soft drinks, white flour products, sugar and nasty fats as vegetable oils ( only use Olive oil and butter in cooking) are poison for your skin (Google about cooking oils and Omega-3 please). Toxins break out through your skin too, and an unclean liver will keep you ill forever. There are articles written about these things, so Google up and educate yourself. You might find that you will have to make changes in your diet and life style before expecting any improvement on your skin. Your skin alarms you from things that are not going well inside you. Many eczema sufferers have found much benefit from simply correcting their eating habits. To round it up; drink lots of water, eat lots of fruit and veg, stop junk and sugar, eat wholemeal bread instead of white, eat nuts if you like them and are not allergic. And if you are run down, take a good multi vitamin with minerals tablet daily.
God bless and lots of love.

3 posts