Beat Eczema -Any book reviews?

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

11 posts
tinawina

by tinawina on Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:49 am

Beat Eczema -Any book reviews?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone in this forum has read the book Beat Eczema by Susan Clark? If so did it help with your eczema at all - or is it just another scam with the same old remedies I read over and over (fish oils, cleansing, relaxation, etc.) ? Although, I do have to say that relaxation and not scratching really helped get rid of the eczema on my arms and back. However, the eczema on my hands and face are more persistent...

Anyway, this book just always seemed like another so called "miracle cure", I never paid it much attention. Just recently I started reading quite a few stories of success from people who have tried her suggestions.

It's not that expensive to download the book, but I won't waste my time (or raise my hopes) if it's just a collection of the same old information...

Tina

sunny81

by sunny81 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:07 pm

Re: Beat Eczema -Any book reviews?

Hi Tina

Ive not read the book personally but what I will say is the best information is available free!! (forums blogs etc).. and ofcourse experience :)
Sunny81

tinawina

by tinawina on Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:26 am

Thanks Sunny,

You're right...there could be some valuable information hidden in all these posts.

How about you, how do you cope with your eczema? Any miracle cure you'd like to share? ;)

Tina

sunny81

by sunny81 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:14 am

Hi Tina,

Sorry to say no 'miracle cures' exist for eczema, but the good news is due to good people sharing experiences we can control the symptoms.

The journey for an eczema soldier is an on-going one, and will continue to be. I have been using Aveeno cream for around a year and abit, and now thinking its perhaps not the best cream to use. But then again it could be something in my diet, i must say when i eat chocs, cakes etc my eczema flares up like crazy !! as I have noticed over the last couple of days. So now im going through a process of cutting out sugary foods, and caffeine. Also when I eat good steamed greens and fresh fruits my eczema / skin feels much softer... until im weakened to processed sugary foods :(

Anyways, if and when I find some good info, ill be sure to let you know :)
Sunny81

tinawina

by tinawina on Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:13 am

Hi Sunny,

I was afraid you were going to say that. ;)

I am fairly certain mine is flared up by certain foods as well. The only time it completely goes away is when I eat mainly vegetables, certain fruits and limited rice & egg. As soon as I introduce anything else, it comes right back, worse than before - especially breads & grains (my weaknesses) and wine or beer.

This has been happening the last 10 years-very frustrating because what was once only on my face and hands, is now on my neck, back and arms.

Aveeno cream (and other oatmeal based creams) has helped me a lot to prevent me scratching, limiting the severity of the eczema on my back and arms, relaxation and deep breathing can help to a certain degree as well.

Thank you for sharing - I guess the battle continues...

Tina

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:22 am

Someone told me that the book is a scam, is it the site that doesn't allow you to close once you open it?

Do check this forum, my blog eczemablues.com (work with many esteemed guests on my posts, including Friday Doctor Q&A) and also guests mentioned in my blog. They are all real (since I've interviewed them) and more than happy to help.

Do tweet me http://twitter.com/marciemom if you need help too ;)

Take care,
MarcieMom
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

tinawina

by tinawina on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:59 pm

Thanks Marciemom,

When I tried to exit the site, another message pops up asking me if I really want to exit - and they will take another $10 off the price of the book if I stay (which is bullpucky). Once you click on Leave this page - it does allow you to exit though.

Anyway, I know when I stick to a diet which is 70-80% raw veggies & fruit and avoiding all grains especially, the eczema starts to disappear within days - I just have to stick with it. However, being Italian that is easier said than done (no pasta, no bread??) :roll:

Just wishing there was some other "cure" I guess.

I will continue to check the forum - and your blog!!

Thanks,
Tina

adneycandy

by adneycandy on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:07 am

Anyway, I know when I stick to a diet which is 70-80% raw veggies & fruit and avoiding all grains especially, the eczema starts to disappear within days - I just have to stick with it. However, being Italian that is easier said than done (no pasta, no bread??) :roll:

ShandaEllert

by ShandaEllert on Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:37 am

I tried all the restrictive diets etc, but now eat dairy, meat, spaghetti daily...

I am 31 and have had eczema on and off since Jr. High. For 3 straight years in my 20's, I also had eczema all over my face, neck, and chest! I went to doctors, dermatologists, got skin biopsies, allergy tests, blood tests etc, but they couldn't figure it out...3 whole years later, I finally did; I realized it was the chlorine in our water because my eczema had gotten so bad when we had moved to the city. Once I put a filter on our shower head, it went away in a few days! I still am prone to getting dry skin (I live in AK, so sometimes in the winter, the air gets dry, Or if I sweat when I workout, that causes my skin to itch too.)
But what I've found is: apple cider vinegar is the only thing that has ever helped my eczema and dry skin. I use it daily and dab it on any itch or scratch; and I also put it on (diluted with water) my face after my shower before going to bed.
*I always need to remember to dilute it when I put it on my face, because your face is sensitive, and apple cider vinegar full strength could sting and dry it out more. If u ever accidentally put full strength on; add water to your face!
*Also, if I have any cuts or scratches (which sometimes if I forget to trim my nails, and I accidentally scratch my skin) I use apple cider vinegar to dis-infect them, and then put raw honey over it with a bandaid. (If the scratch or wound is on your face, I put raw honey on it before bed, and cover that with a paper towel. Then just wash your face in the morning.
Raw honey is the best healer for your skin! It has so many nutrients your skin needs to heal and soften! If I have a dry spot on my face, I usually will put water on my face before the raw honey; that way the raw honey traps the water in your skin to hydrate it even more.
*Another thing is, in the shower; I don't use any soaps on my face or arms etc. If I have a dry spot, I usually put a dab of oil on it before hopping in the shower. This will help it retain the water in the skin.
*I also try to always keep my finger nails short. Just in case I ever accidentally scratch without thinking about it. (I've caused many deep cuts accidentally when I wasn't thinking about it, just itching my arm or leg etc.)
*One time I had accidentally rubbed my eye when I was itching from a cat allergy, and the next day I had a red dry mark right under my eye...for the life of me I couldn't get this big red mark to go away...I put vitamin e on it every day, several times a day to no avail. Then I read somewhere, that its not oil that hydrates your skin, but water! You need just a drop of oil after putting water on your skin, so it will hold the water in your skin. I immediately started just putting water on my skin without a ton of oil (a lot of oil just makes your skin hot and itch more usually!) -I just used a drop of healthy oil (olive, jojoba, etc) and it worked! The dry red mark on my face went away within a couple days!

I felt like I needed to write all this, because I remember what it was like so vividly- always doing desperate google searches to look for cures...so many said to use oil, but that made it worse for me! I tried prescription steroids, creams, etc.. to no avail...
My lesions would ooze, crack, bleed, get infected, etc! I could hardly sleep when I had oil all over my skin at night. It was so painful sometimes that I'd use aloe with lidocaine. It'd bring relief and coolness for the dry, itchy and burning feeling, but it still kept my skin looking bright red!
I also had lived off the raw food diet for 3 years, when I had thought that maybe I had some food allergy or something my body was intolerable to.

So I just wanted to write this in case anyone is looking for answers for their skin.
This is my nightly shower routine that has worked: water on my skin, then a little healthy oil on any dry spots if needed. After the shower, I put Apple Cider Vinegar diluted with water on my face. Lastly, if needed; Raw Honey on any open wounds.
This has been the only thing that has worked for my eczema- hope this helps whomever needs it!

Sincerely, Shanda

11 posts