Applying topical steroid cream for years - shld i worry

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

7 posts
rotiprata_

by rotiprata_ on Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:33 pm

Applying topical steroid cream for years - shld i worry

I have been applying hydrocortisone cream for >10 years on my face which is affected with eczema. Although I know the risks, it was the only thing that could help. Now I am beginning to worry because I have been applying daily but I haven't observed any side effects yet (even though I'm supposed to apply for a few days).

Should I be really worried?

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:05 am

Re: Applying topical steroid cream for years - shld i worry

Hi!

Steroid cream is generally not recommended as maintenance treatment (meaning using for long term to keep rash away, instead of short term to calm a flare-up) due to side effects and the skin on the face being thinner. Also depends on the potency of your cream (hydrocortisone not considered strong, but cream of higher % concentration may be medium) + what other active ingredients in the cream. Maybe consider trying for the lowest potency with lotion and switch to non-steroid cream like topical calcineurin inhibitor creams.

Take care,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

SamanthaK

by SamanthaK on Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:38 pm

You might be careful because if you get it round your eyes I have heard it can cause glaucoma or cataracts.

ItchyGal

by ItchyGal on Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:38 am

Hi there,

Long use of topical steroids is definitely not good for you. I used them for over 30 years and they thinned my skin terribly. My face and other areas are permanently wrinkly now as a result and my hands look 50 years older than they should. Not only does it change the skin but it wreaks havoc with the body.

I decided to stop using them about a year ago, realising my body was addicted, and this is when I saw the effect they had on my endochrine system. Just from stopping, most of my hair fell out, I got insomnia, couldn't regulate hot or cold, dropped weight and my skin flared up with the WORST eczema I had ever had. All symptoms of quitting from an addiction.

It took a while for it all to improve, but now I don't need steroids anymore and I just have to maintain my eczema by watching what I eat and what is in my environment. Having said this, it gets a bit better every month and I think it will eventually disappear. Steroid induced eczema is becoming more commonly recognised now, which is good.

Finding out what your triggers are is super important first and foremost!

TheKxvxnFang

by TheKxvxnFang on Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:00 am

ItchyGal wrote:Hi there,

Long use of topical steroids is definitely not good for you. I used them for over 30 years and they thinned my skin terribly. My face and other areas are permanently wrinkly now as a result and my hands look 50 years older than they should. Not only does it change the skin but it wreaks havoc with the body.

I decided to stop using them about a year ago, realising my body was addicted, and this is when I saw the effect they had on my endochrine system. Just from stopping, most of my hair fell out, I got insomnia, couldn't regulate hot or cold, dropped weight and my skin flared up with the WORST eczema I had ever had. All symptoms of quitting from an addiction.

It took a while for it all to improve, but now I don't need steroids anymore and I just have to maintain my eczema by watching what I eat and what is in my environment. Having said this, it gets a bit better every month and I think it will eventually disappear. Steroid induced eczema is becoming more commonly recognised now, which is good.

Finding out what your triggers are is super important first and foremost!
Hey there,

I have this on my upper lip and my neck. Does one have to go through steroid withdrawal to make it heal, or can I taper down? I really CANNOT go through withdrawal as I need to maintain quality of life for this year. Please go into more detail about how you dealt with this.

One very important question - is the permanently thinned skin a problem once the eczema has healed? As in, is it more sensitive, dry, prone to itching and flare ups? I'm so fricking scared of my thinned skin. I misused Eumovate for a long time going.

poopoo88

by poopoo88 on Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:44 pm

i have been prescribed various cortesteroid creams for my eczema by various doctors. also moisturizers are prescribed simultaneously.

cortesteroid creams seem to get stronger and stronger which doctors give me.

now i am using once a week Dermovat from Glaxo Smith and Klein. this only cortisone cream which nowdays helps me. it is classified as strong cortisone. i use it as rarely as i can. i am starting see first signs that it does not help me anymore.

using these cortetesteroid creams have increased my appetite and i have gained weight 15 kg and also my face is puffy. this has had also social consequences on me.

now i am using it all over my body. i am starting to fear what it gives as LONG TERM side effect. i have a feeling that it might affect on nervous system. i feel clumsier and my short term memory seems to be deteriorating.

doctors say that next step is starting using methotrexate injection. some of my friends who are doctors say that try to avoid start use of that because side effects are stronger on compared to cortesteroid creams.

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:36 am

Sorry to hear that... I'm not sure why there's weight gain.. don't recall this as being a side effect of the oral meds, seek a second doc opinion? Take care!
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

7 posts