Rash in child

If you have any questions about children with allergies to certain foods then please ask them here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
katieham

by katieham on Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:01 am

Rash in child

My daughter had a dry, sore rash around her mouth from around 1 yr. Health professionals advised steroid creams but these only worked temporarily - the rash always came back as soon as we stopped using them. We removed cows milk (but not goat and sheep) from her diet at 1.5 yrs and it was immediately effective. She's now 3 and the rash has recently returned. We've cut out goat and sheep milk for the past 2.5 weeks but it doesn't seem to have any effect. What should we do?

Dr Adam Fox

by Dr Adam Fox on Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:27 am

Re: Rash in child

this is strange as cow's, goats and sheeps milk proteins are broadly the same. I would calm it with some weak steroid cream and then use regular moisturiser/barrier cream to keep it under control. Is her nose blocked??this could be the problem causing 'lip licking' eczema.
Dr Adam Fox
MA(Hons), MD, MSc, MB, BS, DCH, FRCPCH, FHEA, Dip Allergy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... am_fox.php

katieham

by katieham on Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:01 am

Re: Rash in child

Thanks Dr. Fox, Her nose isn't blocked. We've used steroid creams several times but are reluctant to use them again as they seem to have a kind of habit forming effect (i.e. the rash has got worse when we've stopped using them even when we've reduced very slowly).

3 posts