Cradle cap at 4 year-old

If you have any questions about children with allergies to certain foods then please ask them here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
aleksbar

by aleksbar on Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:29 am

Cradle cap at 4 year-old

Hello,
My son is now 4 years and 4 months old and he still has a nasty cradle cap. His hair is quite long so it is difficult to put oils or creams but my question is:
Is cradle cap caused by an allergy or intolerance to certain foods? How do I find out what is causing it? I know that GPs can prescribe creams and treat it on the outside but it will not resolve the problem, will it? If I am not mistaken, it will only heal it temporarily but not prevent it from happening again. The skin on his arms and his cheeks is a bit rough, sometimes it brakes on his ears so they bleed a little bit. It used to crack behind his ears as well. In theory, when he was 3 months old, he was diagnosed with allergy to cow's mlik protein and he was drinking Aptamil Pepti. I am saying 'in theory' as when he had the allery tests done, the tests didn't show any alleries (the tests were done later as it took me about a year to convince my GP that something was wrong). I mean, they tested him for milk...but I don't know it it is the same as testing him for the proteins in milk...also...they only did the basic tests at hospital as when the GP referred us, he didn't think it was necessary in the first place so he only referred us for the basic few tests. Anyway, I was going to the dietician with him for a little while and was told to introduce milk products slowly, which I did. He likes cheese but yogurts and milk are not his favourites. For the last few months I have been giving him the 'new' milk, which I saw adveritised on billboards called 'a2' and I since then, at least the skin on his ears does not break any more. It still kind of peels but does not bleed, which is good. Also, I don't know if these things are liked or not but his nose is constantly blocked. He keeps rubbing it and gets really annoyed sometimes so I believe something is definitely bothering him inside. I am sorry for the long explanation but I thought I should give you some background to his condition. I will be really grateful for any advise because I hate seeing him suffer. Kind regards, Aleksandra

Dr Adam Fox

by Dr Adam Fox on Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:23 am

Re: Cradle cap at 4 year-old

hi
it is very unlikely to be food related if it just effects his scalp. Cradle co is also known as seborrhoiec dermatititis and if the GP creams aren't working I would request a consult with a dermatologist. Dietary manipulation is very unlikely to be worthwhile.
Dr Adam Fox
MA(Hons), MD, MSc, MB, BS, DCH, FRCPCH, FHEA, Dip Allergy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... am_fox.php

2 posts