Nut allergy in children

If you have any questions about children with allergies to certain foods then please ask them here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
nhussain

by nhussain on Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:44 am

Nut allergy in children

My son is 5years old, when he was about 3 I had him tested and was told he had a nut and egg yolk allergy, I saw 2 different gps and was given very conflicting advice on how to proceed.
My main concern is the nut allergy as I know it can be fatal, I would like to know what I should do next, do I keep getting him checked, should I try and give him nuts, is it something he will grow out of?

Rachel De Boer

by Rachel De Boer on Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:41 pm

Re: Nut allergy in children

It sounds like you would benefit from seeing a Paediatric Allergist to be clear which nuts he is allergic to and to see if he remains allergic to egg, check he has the appropriate medication in case of an allergic reaction and to discuss avoidance strategies. Some children (1 in 5) outgrow their nut allergy but its very important never to attempt to reintroduce any nuts at home without first getting him checked as he is at risk of having an allergic reaction.
Rachel De Boer
Paediatric Allergy Dietitian

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... e_boer.php

karen123

by karen123 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:20 pm

Re: Nut allergy in children

Hello, my daughter was diagnosed with a peanut and tree nut allergy 3 weeks ago, she was negative for soya. Am trying to do as much research as possible to ensure we are doing the right thing, but seem to come up againt so much information it scares me. I have recently seen a connection with cashews and mangos? We have also always had dogs cats and my daughter has always been fine, but we lost of dog a yr ago and recently had a slight skin reaction to a friends dog so asked to have her tested, she came up positive to dogs and cats but has never had a reaction with our cats?? Once one allergy appears is it likely to cause others ?

4 posts