Allergy through breastmilk

If you have any questions about children with allergies to certain foods then please ask them here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
emma_l_m

by emma_l_m on Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:43 pm

Allergy through breastmilk

We are trying to get to the bottom of what is wrong with our baby girl. She is 5 months old. Her older brother is allergic to dairy. She’s suffered a lot with wind since she was born. This seemed to be partly due to a tongue tie which we believe has finally been divided successfully. She is exclusively breast fed and I think I have noticed a correlation between when I consumed cheese and yogurts to her suffering with very painful wind (I don’t tend to consume much milk).

The difficulty is that it is so difficult to know if there really is a correlation or if it is pure coincidence as there have been some occasions when I have not consumed dairy and she’s suffered. I presume the only real way to know is to test her with some dairy of some kind (formula or something else when I start weaning at 6 months)? How quickly would I expect her to be impacted from me consuming dairy? And how much dairy would I need to consume for it to impact on her?

I have not eaten any dairy / milk proteins for about 2 months now to see if it makes any difference. However in that period of time she has started suffering again, and potentially worse. She has been crying and straining a lot more than I’d expect when trying to poo (she isn’t constipated). She started this a little way into having a cold. One thought I had was that she could have a temporary lactose intolerance and therefore my milk could be causing her pain. If it were this, how long would I expect symptoms to last for?

Thanks

Emma

2 posts