Advice re possibility of allergy

If you have any queries about testing for food allergies please ask them in this forum

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
sparrowhawk

by sparrowhawk on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:11 pm

Advice re possibility of allergy

I have several known allergies diagnosed through patch and prick testing (dustmite, grass pollen, furry animals, formaldehyde, caine mix and several antibiotics). I also have Coeliac disease and have been completely gluten and wheat free for 10 years (annual blood tests show complete compliance).

However i suffer from severe eczema on my hands , but nowhere else on my body. My hands also swell regularly and tingle. I asked at the dermatology dept when having above tests if it could be down to a food allergy as I avoid all my known allergens religously (wear protective gloves and checked all products I use and not allergic to latex etc). Was told that if it was a food allergy reaction would be more widespread over my torso and also that food allergy testing was not available on NHS. I have now had patch testing done 3 times over 20 years, but each time the results were the same. The situation with my hands is getting intolerable, but just cant seem to find the cause . Instead Nhs just treating symptoms by throwing steroid creams at the problem, which I think is only making things worse.

I would be grateful to hear your views on this matter.

Is the advice I have been given correct or could it be down to an allergy to a food?

2 posts