Can't figure out what I'm allergic to

If you have any questions that do not fit into the categories below please ask them here,

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Sarah12

by Sarah12 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:38 pm

Can't figure out what I'm allergic to

Hi,
I have had allergies to grass, dustmites for as long as I can remember. In the last few years I have become hypersensitive to lots of things.I have trouble with eating brown bread but not so much white. I changed to gluten free breads and pasta and feel better on them.I had tests for coeliac before that but don't have that. I am allergic to shellfish but don't eat it at all.
I have reacted badly to frozen yogurt and have had reactions to many meals out particularly asian food. I will get diarrhoea after these.I don't enjoy eating out as I never know how my stomach will react.
Recently I had a reaction to penicillin and then ate some orange and I
got a burning facial rash and my lips tingled. My hands and feet were freezing but the rest of me was burning up. I have a red rash on my face for months and foods and sometimes just eating anything aggravates it. I know too if I have spicy foods they burn me right through to my behind.I am puzzled and uncomfortable.I think I am allergic to something I have regularly but I can't figure it out.

Dr Adam Fox

by Dr Adam Fox on Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:15 am

Re: Can't figure out what I'm allergic to

HI
a lot of these symtpoms sound unlikely to be allergic in nature although it may be worth seeing a dietician to tie specific foods to specific problems. However, you may well have oral allergy syndrome (look it up on Wikipedia) causing the symtpoms of swelling you describe to orange - this is due to a cross reactivity with pollens and certain fruits.
Dr Adam Fox
MA(Hons), MD, MSc, MB, BS, DCH, FRCPCH, FHEA, Dip Allergy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... am_fox.php

2 posts