am I allergic to chilli

If you have any questions that do not fit into the categories below please ask them here,

Moderator: talkhealth

1 post
familywatson06

by familywatson06 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:31 pm

am I allergic to chilli

I have had a few episodes in the last few years of flushed face and racing pulse with my heart thumping inmy chest associated with eating spicy food. It comes on a few minutes after beginning to eat and lasts several minutes. It has been so frightening that I have also had anxiety and panic attacks and have put these episodes down to panic also. I haven't had any swelling or rash. My gp gave me an epipen and referred me to the allergy clinic who felt it was likely to be psychlogical.they skin prick tested for a couple of ingredients with negative results. I was happy with this and managing the anxiety well until this week when I had a severe episode after tasting a chilli con carne a friend made.I was with two nursing friends who observed I was very flushed and
my pulse was 108. I took piriton in case and slept for a couple of hours. It didn't really feel like a panic attack but doesn't really fit with a true allergic reaction either. I'm wondering if chilli might be causing the reaction. I am inclined to avoid all spicy food now but wondered if you might have any suggestions. Is it possible to have an allergy without other allergic symptoms ?