Garlic

If you think you suffer with a food intolerance, ask our experts your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
MisterGumby

by MisterGumby on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:03 am

Garlic

I used to enjoy garlic as much as anyone and would happily prepare Chicken Kiev or Garlic Bread at home, but, in my forties, I developed an intolerance of garlic that has stayed with me into my sixties.

If I have more than a tiny amount of garlic, I wake up the next morning feeling as though I'd had far too much alcohol the night before - dehydrated, headache and generally miserable.

I've failed to find anyone else with the same problem. It causes lots of problems, especially eating out. Am I really unique in this? Is there anything I can do to combat it?

Dr Adam Fox

by Dr Adam Fox on Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:47 am

Re: Garlic

HI
not much you can do other than avoid (although some people find a difference if it is cooked/uncooked) but i have seen a fair few people with this so if its any consolation, you are in good company!
Dr Adam Fox
MA(Hons), MD, MSc, MB, BS, DCH, FRCPCH, FHEA, Dip Allergy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... am_fox.php

MisterGumby

by MisterGumby on Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:22 pm

Re: Garlic

Many thanks for the reply.

It really is a pain, with supermarkets insisting on putting garlic in everything, even traditional British dishes that never contained garlic like Sheperd's Pie. As for eating out in Latin countries...!

I'll put up with it though. There are many worse problems to have.

3 posts