COPD

Moderators: talkhealth, nanny54321

6 posts
MaxMax123

by MaxMax123 on Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:21 pm

COPD

Since being diagnosed with COPD my life has changed dramatically. I am unable to do all the active parts that I really enjoyed in my life. It's been six years now and I have difficulty breathing when going up stairs, household chores and even walking. I am a qualified Health and Fitness Teacher and all that has gone out of the window. I was also diagnosed with Asthma on top of COPD. I have constant chest infections and fell lathargic most days. I was just wondering if there is anybody else out there who has come across these problems and wouls like to know how they deal with them. PS. I am 52, Female.

bernibob

by bernibob on Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:27 pm

Re: COPD

Currently I am not quite diagnosed and trying to seek answers

I have had a persistent cough since the beginning of December last year, it's been productive at times, with that a large lump in my throat, dry tongue
So far I have been told I had a virus, then thyroiditis and now potentially asthma

My symptoms have always and are still, shortness or irritation of my breath making me want to cough
Lump in throat which has shrunk slightly due to steroids, dry tongue, sticky mucus which aggravates my coughing and throat making it difficult to draw breath in, tiredness etc

Although I have recovered and the main coughing bout I suffered in December has gone, it has left me still coughing, still feeling short of breath, smaller lump in throat, I have been diagnosed with thyroid problem which they could see from a scan plus blood test showed inflammation

12 weeks later and none the wiser

Any ideas ?

Thanks
Bernibob

PammyT558

by PammyT558 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:18 am

Dear MaxMax,
I have just registered on to this site and read your message, I have been diagnosed as having Pulmonary Fibrosis and Emphysema for quite some years but it is only the last two years that I have been having great trouble breathing when walking upstairs and out doors but I try and stay as positive as possible with the help of my partner and my Down's Syndrome son plus I attend our local Hospice twice a month for a drop in and chat with others like us with Respiratory problems. you may find it very helpful to join a Pulmonary Respiratory group near where you live? Have a chat with your G.P about any Pulmonary Rehabilitation sessions either by the Respiratory Nurses or your local Hospice, These are great for helping us to cope with our breathing plus talking to others suffering the similar conditions.
I use portable Oxygen daily after seeing my Respiratory nurse which is a great help.
I hope this as been a help to you ? Good Luck Pam

Secondlife

by Secondlife on Fri May 20, 2016 12:28 pm

Hi, have only just joined the forum and upon reading your message it was like reading the history of my hubby's trials and tribulations. He was diagnosed with asbestosis and COPD, he had so many chest infections that we had a direct dial number for the consultant and then he would be admitted to hospital. We sought answers in every direction, one of the biggest things for us was that we lived in a bungalow that was surrounded by houses which used coal to heat them and even the local Council had issued a bad air quality notice. For us we were lucky enough to be able to move but that meant having to deal with a new consultant and GP. The consultant is lovely but not very forthcoming, you have to know the questions to ask to get the answer, we used to go every 4 months to see her and after 4 consecutive chest infections she prescribed the antibiotic that you take 3 times a week, since then it has been a miracle, he still gets colds but nowhere near as bad. As for not being able to do things, pester them for a referral to pulmonary rehab, it really does help especially if you continue at home.

Hope you get some answers and help.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Tue May 24, 2016 7:06 am

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Helen
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

6 posts