Sun

If you have concerns about skin cancer or how to stay safe in the sun, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Seashell84

by Seashell84 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:37 pm

Sun

Hi,

I have red hair and fair skin and burn in the sun very quickly. I do try to use sun spray (usually 50+) but there are times where I forget or it's sunnier than I've realised and by the time I do it's too late. The amount of freckles I have also increases when I've been exposed to the sun (I've been wearing a lot more sleeveless tops this summer and now have the freckles to prove it!). I do try to wear a hat and avoid the sun if possible - it gives me a headache as much as anything - and would never use a sun bed, but inevitably there have been plenty times when I've been burnt. Does this increase any risk of skin cancer?

However, I have also recently read that avoiding the sun/using sun spray actually increases the risk of cancer by blocking the body's ability to produce vitamin d3. I was wondering if there any truth in this as I don't know enough about either view to know which is correct.

Many thanks for your help.

Dr Jonathan Bowling

by Dr Jonathan Bowling on Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:34 am

Re: Sun

Hi There,

It is a common concern, finding a balance between getting enough sunshine for vitamin D whilst not too much for causing sunburn. Generally speaking we have to be practical, and that sounds exactly what you are doing.

Minimising sunburn is really important, with clothing, shade, sun awareness and high factor sunscreen as this will reduce you potential for skin cancer in the future. However what is essential is maintaining a healthy outdoor lifestyle, from which you will benefit from increased cardiovascular, respiratory , mental and importantly bone health. If you are outdoors and active you will get enough vitamin D.

Therefore enjoy this 'Indian Summer', get out and about and do not forget the importance of skin surveillance, and remember if you find anything unusual on your skin - 'odd one out - check it out!'
Dr Jonathan Bowling FRCP
Consultant Dermatologist
Oxford

http://www.mydermatologist.co.uk
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... owling.php

Seashell84

by Seashell84 on Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:58 pm

Re: Sun

Thank you :)

I'll leave you to enjoy the indian summer as it's just fog up here in the North at the moment!

3 posts