weight loss

If you have any questions that have not been covered by the subjects below please post them here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
bobrothery

by bobrothery on Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:26 pm

weight loss

I am struggling to lose weight, years ago I just would at calories that food contained.
Now people tell me that it is the sugar or salt !
How can I pick food that will help me lose weight, what should I be looking at on food labels.
I have type 2 diabetes

Gary Turner

by Gary Turner on Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:41 pm

Re: weight loss

Hi, hope you are well.

Weight loss is not just about calories in v calories out - it is a complete misdirection. Take a look at my post here: viewtopic.php?f=656&t=7482

Instead I would look in the first instance to:
Eat only when hungry. Stop eating when no longer hungry. Drink only when thirsty. Our bodies have exquisit feedback systems to ensure we consume what we need and when. Work with your body rather than against it.

Eat natural whole foods properly prepared. Look to foods that are highly nutritious compared to the energy they contain. Think 'man-made=bad' and instead 'nature=good'.

I guess you're having fun with your insulin, so you need to bring that under control. You'll be mostly told to eat low GI and low GL, yet, this is just part of the story. There is something called the 'insulin index' which looks at the insulin response to food. It isn't just carbohydrates that release insulin...so I would suggest looking to eat low on the insulin index.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin_index

Taking it further, there is a growing body of science research giving evidence pointing to diabetics having great results from going low carbohydrate, and even into something called the ketogenic diet. If I had diabetes I would look towards reducing my carbohydrates down to around 50g a day and see what happens from there.

I may study this area in depth, yet I am not a doctor, and if you are diabetic you will be under your doctor's management. I would make him aware of the contents of my post, and ask for his opinion. If he hasn't heard of these approaches before my advice is to advise him to do a quick bit of research - pubmed.com has a growing list of studies supporting their efficacy. Any approach you do however needs to be in accordance with your doctor's input.

Hope this helps!
Gary Turner
Advisor to British Army School of Physical Training, World Champion Elite Sportsman

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... turner.php

Douglas Twenefour

by Douglas Twenefour on Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:42 pm

Re: weight loss

Hi,
All the things you mentioned - calories, sugar, salt and fat - are important when eating healthily for people with diabetes. Managing your condition has to do with getting blood glucose, cholesterol, blood pressure and your weight to targets. Carbohydrates affect blood glucose levels so limiting your intake will help, look at how much you are eating now and reduce your intakes over time staring with foods that are highly processed and contain added sugar, fats and salt. Different fats affect your cholesterol differently so reduce animal fat, and reduce your salt intake for your blood pressure. The good thing is that, getting your weight down will help with the other three factors so any strategy that can help you to eat less will help. There are different approaches to losing weight when you have Type 2 diabetes. I have reviewed the evidence for the different diets here http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/ta ... t_loss.php
Since we all eat prepacked foods, it is also important to read labels in order to make an informed decision of which foods are healthier using the traffic light labelling.

All the best
Douglas Twenefour
RD, MPhil, PG Dip
Diabetes UK

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... nefour.php

4 posts