Dieting bores me rigid

Ask our experts all your questions about diet and dieting, healthy eating, nutrition and the best ways to either gain or lose weight.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Gary Turner

by Gary Turner on Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:11 pm

Re: Dieting bores me rigid

Don't diet.

Simple. They don't work.

Over 6 months ANY calorie restrictive diet approach evens out at the same weight lost, if you stick to them.

The studies however are showing that long term (1-2years), those who take this approach in most cases end up far fatter - and there are a host of physiological and psychological reasons why.

Instead look to eating right for you.

Eat only when hungry. Stop eating when no longer hungry. Drink only when thirsty. Eat natural whole foods properly prepared. Look to foods that are highly nutritious compared to the energy they contain.

Think 'man-made=bad' and instead 'nature=good'.

Get out and move. Move naturally. Walk, dance, garden, frolick ;) anything that moves your body in a natural way. Get together with friends and do it socially.

Look towards a happier lifestyle, rather than burdening yourself with 'diets' that, as you have discovered, don't work anyway...

How does all that sound?
Gary Turner
Advisor to British Army School of Physical Training, World Champion Elite Sportsman

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... turner.php

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:59 pm

Re: Dieting bores me rigid

Hi,

I totally agree with you - following a strict diet IS boring and the reason many people put weight on through dieting is that they find it impossible to stick to in the long-term and end up bingeing on their 'forbidden' foods. As Gary says it's far better to eat a healthy diet based on 'real' foods i.e. proteins such as lean meat, fish and chicken, natural yogurt and other dairy foods, whole grains, fruit and vegetables. Allow yourself a small treat every day - be it a few squares of chocolate or a small bag of crisps, or whatever you think of as a treat - that way you are less likely to end up feeling deprived and giving up your weight loss plan altogether. Also, ring the changes - try new recipes, herbs and spices to help keep boredom at bay.

Listen to your body and try to only eat when you are hungry and stop when you're full. As you've spent years dieting you may have forgotten how to do this. Susie Orbach's book 'On Eating - Change Your Eating Change Your Life' offers some excellent advice on how to eat in line with your hunger and your body's needs.

I hope this helps you to lose weight without actually dieting. :D
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

3 posts