Fat binding medication

Ask our experts all your questions about diet and dieting, healthy eating, nutrition and the best ways to either gain or lose weight.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
petlamb41

by petlamb41 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:13 pm

Fat binding medication

I've seen some products advertised on the TV for helping improve weight loss. I just wondered are they really as good as they seem and are they safe to use?

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:23 pm

Re: Fat binding medication

Hi,

The manufacturers claim the fibre in these tablets bind with the fat in your diet, so that your body expels it rather than absorbing it. Of course the fibre also makes you feel fuller, so you should eat less.

While some people may say that they have lost weight while taking pills like this, what you'll probably find is that they changed their eating habits while taking them and therefore would have lost weight anyway. There are no magic wands for weight loss - you simply have to eat less and move more.

Bear in mind too that these pills are quite expensive, so would you want to spend your hard-earned cash on them in the long-term when the only pounds you might lose are the ones in your purse?

My advice - try to lose weight without the aid of costly supplements. Fill up on lots of vegetables and fruit, as well as whole grains and low-fat proteins such as lean meat, fish, poultry and dairy foods. It's also a good idea to allow yourself one small treat a day, to prevent any cravings getting out of hand.

Good luck with your weight loss goals!
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

Gary Turner

by Gary Turner on Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:01 pm

I would ask the same thing of any such miracle pill:

What is the efficacy of your product?
What are the contraindications?

If they can't provide you with peer reviewed gold standard studies they are working off anecdote...
Gary Turner
Advisor to British Army School of Physical Training, World Champion Elite Sportsman

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... turner.php

Jenny Radcliffe

by Jenny Radcliffe on Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:59 pm

Just to add... the only medication licensed for weight management & offered on the NHS is orlistat (Xenical). This has proven effectiveness in producing greater weight loss than diet and exercise alone. It does, however, require that you stick to a very low fat diet or you will experience unpleasant side-effects.

Orlistat is available on prescription, depending on your BMI (and any health problems that may be contraindications to its use). It is also available, in a lower dose, as an over the counter medicine called Alli, but I would certainly recommend that you talk to your GP first before trying this.
Jenny Radcliffe
Consultant Clinical Health Psychologist

4 posts