changing

Ask our experts all your questions about diet and dieting, healthy eating, nutrition and the best ways to either gain or lose weight.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
muktadir

by muktadir on Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:53 pm

changing

Hello,

I would like to know how I could make changes to my diet If my main diet consists of a lot of rice, curries and fried snacks?

It can be very difficult as I work full time and don't seem to have time to make my own food .

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: changing

Hi,

The key is to cut your saturated fat and carb intake - especially your intake of refined carbs.

There are various tweaks you could make to your Asian food to achieve this. Such as:

Cut out fried snacks such as pakoras and bhajis.

Swap naan breads for wholemeal chapatis, which have more fibre and therefore keep you feeling fuller for longer.

Swap white rice for brown. Like wholemeal chapatis, brown rice also has more fibre, so it takes longer to digest, and also contains more B vitamins. Stick to smaller portions of rice - i.e. have no more than about a handful of cooked rice per meal.

Fill up on lots of vegetables and fruit; you could replace part of your rice portion with steamed or microwaved vegetables. Eat fruit instead of sweets, biscuits, cakes or desserts.

Avoid rich, creamy, curries such as korma and passanda - opt instead for tandoori/tikka dishes or balti, rogan josh, or madras curries, as these contain less fat and are therefore lower in calories.

Limit your sugar intake to perhaps one small treat a day; as I've said in other posts, allowing yourself one small treat a day will help you to stick to your healthier eating plan in the longer term, which is important if you are to lose weight and keep it off.

You may find my reply to a related post helpful
viewtopic.php?f=659&t=7489&p=20763&hili ... iet#p20763

Good luck with your weight loss!
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

2 posts