Hypothyroid and weight loss

Do you have related health problems because of your weight? Do you suffer with diabetes, joint problems, breathing difficulties or other health issues? If so, ask our experts your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Jenny1

by Jenny1 on Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:55 pm

Hypothyroid and weight loss

Hi, I have been treated for hypothyroid for a couple of years.I have found it to hard to sustain my weight loss efforts.When I started on treatment I lost half a stone.

I then joined a slimming group and lost another 2 stone
However when my bloods were checked I had become slightly hyperthyroid and my meds were reduced
I then went six weeks without losing so much as a pound despite sticking to the plan
I became disheartened and put 1 1/2 stone back on.

I started with a new plan and again lost 1 1/2 stone over nine weeks
Went on holiday just before xmas then xmas itself and put it back on in three weeks.
My hands and feet were very sore and my feet were noticeably swollen.
I started back on my plan and lost 10lbs in a week, a lot seeming to be fluid. I got my bloods done and have become a bit hyperthyroid and have very high uric acid.
I'm so fed up of this cycle. Waiting on endocrinology appt. Have to be so strict when dieting and it is so slow and as soon as I loosen the reigns it piles back on.

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:45 am

Re: Hypothyroid and weight loss

Hi Jenny1,

Sorry to hear about your ongoing thyroid problem and the associated weight problems you're experiencing.

Your underactive thyroid is clearly impacting on your ability to lose weight; hopefully at your next endocrinology appointment they'll be able to adjust your treatment so that your thyroxine level eventually settles at the right level for you.

However - what is clear from your post is that you CAN lose weight despite your thyroid problems; you've managed to lose up to 2.5 stones in weight when you've put your mind to it, so well done for that fantastic achievement! :D

While I think your thyroid IS a factor in your weight gain, I also think like many dieters, you give up your regime as soon as you gain a little weight. The fact is everyone gains weight when they go on holiday and over Christmas - so don't be so hard on yourself when that happens. Instead of becoming disheartened and perhaps comfort eating and gaining yet more weight, try telling yourself that this is normal and return to your weight loss plan.

I recently found I'd gained almost a stone without realising it and have managed to lose 11lbs by reducing the amount of carbs I eat - but I still allow myself a little dark chocolate each day and the occasional glass of wine. I find this helps me to feel less deprived, so I stick to my healthier eating plan and the weight has stayed off. I wonder if one of the reasons you're finding it difficult to stick to a plan is that your regime is too strict? Perhaps my method could work for you? After all, to lose weight and keep it off you need to find an eating plan that you can follow in the long-term and in my opinion it's far better to lose weight slowly and permanently than to lose it quickly, only to regain it.

The other thing I've noticed from your post is that you become disheartened when your weight plateaus. Again this is normal. I lost a few pounds initially and then seemed to stick at the same weight for about 6 weeks. The key thing here is to hang on in there and trust that it you stick to your eating plan the weight WILL come off!

So my advice is don't be disheartened by any blips in your weight loss - instead carry on, telling yourself that you CAN lose weight and keep it off.

Good luck!
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

2 posts